NAFEX/NNGA conference in Georgia

Someone on another site recently made me aware of this upcomming conference since it is somewhat in my area (well, its in the south). Cliff England is attending, which is neat. Anyway, here is what I know. I’m just passing this on- I have no connection to the event or knowledge of those putting it on, etc.

2017 ANNUAL CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PAPERS *
The North American Fruit Explorers and the Northern Nut Growers
Association announce their joint conference (annual meeting) which will be held at the University of Georgia, Tifton Conference Center, from Sunday, August 13 through Wednesday, August 16, 2017. Participants will be able to attend both nut and fruit sessions for the registration fee.
Members receive a discount, while the registration fee will entitle non-members to one year’s free on-line membership in either the NNGA or NAFEX. A listing of the presenters, registration information, discounted hotel accommodations, and travel information will be posted on our websites, www.nafex.org and www.nutgrowing.org by mid-February.
Here is the proposed agenda:
Board meetings will be held on Sunday morning. Registration will take place on Sunday afternoon, followed by a Welcome Buffet Dinner. At 7:00 PM we will have a Show and Tell Session, where members can talk about their nut and fruit growing experiences.
Monday and Tuesday are devoted to scientific and technical presentations on growing nuts and fruits. There will be presentations on other agricultural crops and on marketing strategies. A wide variety of speakers will be invited including researchers, commercial growers, and backyard enthusiasts. There will be concurrent presentations, along with Open Space and breakout sessions. You may attend sessions on the subjects of your choice.
Monday evening will feature our annual auction. This is a great way to have fun while raising money for the research efforts of both organizations. It is also an opportunity to advertise your product to a captive audience. Handmade donations, seedlings, nuts and fruits, baked goods, and unique products for this event are needed.
Tuesday evening’s theme is “Georgia on My Mind”, with traditional
Southern food and entertainment. We will conclude the business meeting, which opened on Monday morning, select the “Big Nut” for the year, and enjoy an evening of socialization.
Wednesday will be devoted to a tour of the University of Georgia’s
experimental plantings; the Future Farmstead, which is an energy-independent experimental farm and farmstead; the USDA station in Byron Georgia; and the Fort Valley Agricultural College. At the end of the tour, we will have dinner at the scenic Horse Creek Winery in Sparks, Georgia.
Separate activities are planned for CAP (Companions Alternate Program) for the spouses and those accompanying members. Among these is the trip to the Georgia Museum of Agriculture in Tifton. The goal is to have something for everyone.
CALL FOR PAPERS We have 30 to 40-minute time slots for the formal presentations on Monday and Tuesday. Show and Tell talks can be anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. We welcome your contribution as a speaker. PowerPoint (AV) projectors will be available. If you would like to offer a presentation or a less formal talk, please contact our Conference Program Director, Prof. Michele Warmund at warmundm@missouri.edu. For other questions or information, contact Jerry Henkin, Chair of the 2017 NAFEX/NNGA Conference, at sproutnut@aol.com

2 Likes

Jerry Lehman has been added as a presenter at the conference. along with Cliff England. Seems to be shaping up as quite a conference.

1 Like

The Tifton Conference Center is a few miles from my apartment. Needless to say, I am attending all three week days. I’m so excited. Anyone else attending?