Name this plum ( The answer: It's a Lemon Plum from Chile)

This plum came from Costco. It was sold as a San Francisco “Lemon” plum. They were all yellow, tart and had little flavor. They were packed in Chile on Jan 18 so they were at least a month old when I bought them. Five days latter they turned dark orange at room temperature and where very good. The ones in the refrigerator are still yellow. Any ideas on what plum it is?

3 Likes

I saw them at kroger and they called them red heart plums. But I’m sure thats just a generic term.

1 Like

I have a plum tree, about 4 years old but does not has much fruit at all, the tree growing very vigorously spreading and the fruits naturally shiny without any powder on skin. I really like to know its ID. Please help with any experience ideas. Thank you.

2 Likes

Here’s inside looks.

1 Like

Its growing shape.

1 Like

Its leaves.

I think I had the same ones. The best store bought plums I’ve had. I always thought it was Inca plum.

5 Likes

It looks like Mariposa plum. It’s pollinated by Krauter Vesuvious plum, Santa Rosa Plum, and by Satsuma Plum. Fruit needs very hot temperatures in order to get sweet.

2 Likes

I assume you are referring to the one Vincent displayed. I’m still wondering about the plum in the original post and later displayed by Borer.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Ulises.

1 Like

Yes, I was referring to Vincent’s plum.

1 Like

The Elephant heart and Mariposa plum, which one you refer better fruiting and tasting?

I don’t have a Elephant Plum tree, but I still prefer Elephant Heart Plum.

1 Like

I might remove it after this coming summer. Thank yo so much.

1 Like

Graft some scions onto another tree.

1 Like

Back to the first plum. One thing that interested me about the plum is that when I bought them they where hard and at least 4 weeks old based on backing date. At room temperature it took another 5 to 7 days for them to ripen. When they ripened they were perfect, sweet and juicy. The ones I put in the refrigerator are still yellow and are now 5 weeks old. It will be interesting to see how much longer I can store them.

I bought some of these yesterday and they had a caramel flavor or some buttery type of flavor. I couldn’t put my finger on it. It was not particularly pleasant for my palate. They did have good texture and were juicy but that strange flavor was kind of off putting.

What color were the ones you ate? I found that the flavor improves as they get a darker orange and softer. At least to my palate. The flavor definitely changes as they go from yellow to dark orange. I’m wondering if it is a interspecific plum as it reminds me of a plout.

They looked more like the plums posted by borer_the_explorer. I got them from whole foods and they were called lemon heart plums. I tasted no lemon what so ever.

To me they look very similar to the Inca Plum but not exactly. Someone who grows Inca and buys the Lemon" plums from Chile make a comparison. Wondering if Inca turn very dark as it ripens? I found a description in Wikipedia under the heading “Lemon Plum” and for now that’s what I assume it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_Plum