Nashua Orchard Journal

I agree @Katie_didnt_Z4b. Much of the joy is in the planning and making. Its like what I learned with my four young children so many years ago. Every day they tore through the house with pillows and sheets making tents under tables, beside couches, and the like. When I decided to buy them a tent, they had no use for it. It was the making of the tent that brought them joy. A good lesson for Mom.

8 Likes

Getting started again for the year.

All my trees and shrubs survived the first winter, so I’m pretty excited about that. So far so good!

Just planted a Juliet cherry with help from my 3 year old. I’m very excited about this addition!

Also seeing some buds getting ready to open on Tomcot. Ever got a cold night forecast for next week. I don’t actually want them to set fruit yet, but I’d hate for them to get frozen out the first year!

11 Likes

Signs of life on my shiitake logs! Looks like they made it.

9 Likes

Tomcot blooming, 4/9. I’m not going to let it keep fruit if it sets any, but it’s still exciting to see.

And my Juliet actually has some flower buds, too.

9 Likes

Getting my Chicago Hardy fig all trussed up to train it as a step over tree. The angles will get adjusted so everything’s level when I plant it in the ground.

12 Likes

My white currants (1301) are loaded with flower buds!

And some on Willoughby black currant.

Rondom also has a decent amount. I haven’t noticed any on Jahn’s Prairie gooseberry so far.

14 Likes

I bought a bunch more currants and gooseberries this year myself. Using them in flower beds to replace the emerald greens the deer tore up. Lets see them tear up those thorns.

4 Likes

Placnted 50 maras de bois strawberries today. Hopefully the squirrels, etc, leave a few berries for us.

8 Likes

On second thought, I hope the squirrels leave a few plants for me. 4 or 5 had been dug up and the crowns eaten. Ugh.

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: darn squirrels!!! sorry!

2 Likes

I knew they were going to be my biggest issue with fruit. Just didn’t expect it to start so soon!

1 Like

no kidding. it’s like they have been surveilling your yard, just waiting for the right moment to attack…
Maybe you can you throw a row cover over them or some chicken wire, something to keep the rabbits out temporarily?

2 Likes

Not a bad idea.

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s time for some relocation traps. More will show when production begins.

There are already ungodly numbers of squirrels here. It will be hard to make a dent with trapping. If I do, it will probably be lethal trapping. Live relocation is illegal in most states (without a special license) and less humane.

2 Likes

I looked at a few instant kill traps, but was not really interested in disposing of dead animals. I use traps, but they are mainly for ground hogs. True troublemakers.

2 Likes

Planted out my straw bale garden yesterday. Spinach, turnips, radishes, and broccoli raab. I’ll be planting okra and melons in 3-4 weeks to take over as the weather warms.

15 Likes

A straw bale at a local store here is $21 per bale!!I did not buy it.

1 Like

You have insane amount of space! If this straw project would be in my yard it will have one foot on each side, or may be even adjusted to rock wall. :grinning:

1 Like

How did you do the straw bales? I was considering trying that for potato’s.

1 Like