Nasty Hail Storm last night with egg size hail causing so much damage to trees, cars and roofs in Omaha

I guess I have to replace a 4 years old roof again. Omaha metro got nailed hard. Lots of damage to personal properties. Lot of fruits got knock off. There goes my insurance premium. up !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKHcbM5HGw

Tony

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear this, Tony. I hope you and your family are okay.

1 Like

Tony:

I’m very sorry to hear that. I think hail damage to fruit is particularly disheartening. It’s so ugly and you’ll be reminded every time you look at things the rest of the yr. NE may be the hail capitol of the US. Western areas of NE, the panhandle, average as much as 9 hail storms in any one spot each yr. Eastern NE has less but still a lot compared to areas east of the Mississippi river.

2 Likes

Steven,

Thanks for asking. We are fine. Just properties damage. I have to replace ten rental roofs and my house. I will be out $10,000 for deductible. $1000 a house.

Tony

1 Like

Tony I Am so sorry. The weather is very tough this year! :heart:

1 Like

Tony,
So sorry to hear this. Your guys in NE gets it bad weatherwise.

2 Likes

Tony,
As long as the family and you are ok, the rest is stuff and can be replaced. Ha*l is the worst, so destructive. Again, as long as you and yours are fine…
Best, Chikn.

2 Likes

Oh wow, sorry to hear that, Tony. Hail can be destructive in so many ways- cars, roofs, plants, even people if you get caught out in it.

Have you considered metal roofing? Folks around here seem to be using that on their homes more. But, I don’t know what it costs compared to shingles. It does look good, though. If we ever built a new house, I think I’d consider it.

2 Likes

That blows. I have a love hate with severe weather. Its amazing to watch, hear, smell (ozone) …but can be so destructive if it hits property. Last evening far to the south i could see the tops of huge cumulonimbus…the looks like nuclear mushroom clouds.

Property can be fixed/replaced…i hear you on the insurance though//it has become very expensive…last hail storm i skipped having my roof replaced because it really wasn’t bad…but many of my neighbors had new ones put on…mine was still sort of new from a previous hail storm. I’m moving to a metal roof in the future.

In a few months it will be a distant memory and we’ll be dealing with snow, ice, freezing rain and Christmas music.

3 Likes

Tony sorry to hear about your damage, as a fellow Nebraskan I can relate. We have had to replace our roof more than once. Seems like we can never get a decent rain with out hail of some size being part of the equation.

1 Like

that’s awful news @tonyOmahaz5
egg-sized hail is scary. Hoping that it’s the last major one for a long, long time.

3 Likes

Sorry to see this Tony it was rain with some small hail when it went through here. It was a strong storm. Did some of the fruit stay on the tree and still look ok? I’m thinking about getting a thick steel galvanized roof because of all this hail.

2 Likes

Tony, did you have similar hale as in this video? We had mostly rain. I’ve heard a couple of strong bangs from the hail and saw onechunk of ice. I have no hale damage. Somehow the hale goes away from our area, we even had to replace the roof ourselves. Sorry for you losses.

1 Like

Yes,. The hail storm hit our NorthWest areas near Bennington first then it moved through Midtown then through papillon then the Chalco lake area. Pretty much 300 houses in Our neighborhood had roofs damaged. I hope this is the last one for a long while. I may pay more to get a metal roof. 1/2 of my fruits are gone.

Tony

1 Like

Make plum wine. 50% fruit 50% rock Candy. Sugar, cover with vodkaa, rest for 3 months,cut with sparking water when you serve

1 Like

Hard to look at that photo Tony!

4 Likes

That is one of the saddest pictures this year. So sorry Tony.

3 Likes