Native river cane sources

Hey,

I’m curious if anyone has a source for rivercane starts, or suckers they could dig themselves some time in the spring. Talking about the native bamboo of the eastern USA
Would appreciate having more of this growing in my neck or the woods!

Thank you

I’m not digging any cane for anybody…but I suspect you could take a canoe trip down most creeks and some rivers in SE Kentucky and find plenty.
Mostly on property that is posted or that belongs to uncle Sam.

Our neighbor and sometimes employee is a wild plant collector. And he does so legally and with permissions. I will ask him to look out from our local bamboos of zone 8A/B/9 where he stalks the woods. He is really cool. He planted some various, clearly different blackberries last week. I like one that seems rather compact, but unlike others has bright green shiny leaves this time of year when most others are dark.

1 Like

I was growing it in NH, but I pulled it out a year ago. I wish I knew…I’d have sent you all of it.

I got mine from Bamboo Garden Nursery and it was the “Macon” variety. I’m not sure if it was any hardier than the regular version because it was top killed with -14F and wind.

3 Likes