Nectarines just better

And when you plant in pots in a cold zone, move heavy potted trees into a shelter for the winter is no fun. None of my potted trees are in anything bigger than 15 gal. Even with a dolly, it still is a pain.

3 Likes

I am definitely going to try that this spring! Maybe I can keep them from the deer.
@mamuang . . . I hear what you are saying. Maybe we can cover them and use lights to keep them a bit warmer?

Iā€™ve seen a big difference of my nectarine in a pot vs in ground. I wonā€™t keep my nect in a pot. My in-ground nect produces larger fruit with far better quality.

I bought a Arctic Blaze nect from Bay Laurel. DWN site says itā€™s hard to crop. Does anyone know how itā€™s difficult to crop? Also - has anyone grown Arctic Sweet from ACN?

I had an Arctic Sweet tree, I fruited it for two seasons (it will start its fourth leaf this spring) and it is an excellent, low acid nectarine.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Thanks for posting those slides. So many great nectarines, so little orchard spaceā€¦

4 Likes

The guy even likes a lot of Zaigerā€™s Arctic and Honey series that Iā€™ve liked. There are a lot more that I could try if I get back into that arena.

1 Like

I wish I had more space to try some more of these. Silver gem is excellent.

Plum curculios discovered my nects. They seem to prefer them over peaches.

You have to spray right away!

Iā€™ve sprayed at petal fall and every 2-3 days after, just canā€™t seem to catch all of the baby fruits. Rushed to thin and Clemson bag most today. Spice Zee seems particularly attractive for them.

1 Like

Perhaps a sticker would help. I almost never spray more frequently than every two weeks, but I use Clemson bags as early as possible, usually just after the spray targeting PC.

Ahmad,
Count yourself lucky. Iā€™ve sprayed every 7-10 days before I bagged. I still got plenty of PC damage.

1 Like

We donā€™t have Plum Curculio around here, but Iā€™m really starting to hate them.

2 Likes

Brady,
You lucky duck. PC is a die-hard bug, often you need serious synthetics to kill the son of the gun. They also can emerge from soil and damage hundreds of fruit in one or two nights.

I have seen early nectarines succeed against PC with only surround at sites with a high level of PC pressure. I canā€™t really talk about synthetics within the context of over the counter home formulas from experience, but the ingredients of some of them should make them as affective as the pyrethroid I use with success at many sites. I have more trouble battling PC with Euro plums.

You donā€™t need a license to purchase Avaunt, which certainly works reasonably well against PC, although the label suggests itā€™s only for agricultural use, which means you are supposed to sell some of your fruit. I donā€™t think it is legally defined how much you are supposed to sell for it to be considered agricultural use. The law seems sketchy on this.

Brown rot is certainly harder to control on necs than peaches, and I wonder why. Their smooth skin should lead to quick evaporation of water and absorption of less water, reducing pressure.

1 Like

North East and New England folks: If you have Costco close to you, go to it today and check their nectarine boxes. I got Honey Blaze and Honey Lite from there yesterday and today; were soft ripe and excellent, better than mangoes. Did not measure Brix, but to my palate 20+

Make sure the sticker on the box has the name of the variety, otherwise you will get something else!

@mamuang @BobVance @SMC_zone6 and others.

6 Likes

@fruitnut Now that I am eating them side by side, and both are very ripe, I judge them both as excellent, but Honey Blaze has a richer flavor. I hope to find similar quality Honey Royale this yearā€¦

3 Likes