Nectarines just better

Wow! I’m going!
Nectarines are my absolute favorite. Last year Sam’s Club had variety after variety - in 3lb. ? bags. The varieties were marked - even advertised - on the bags.
I let my Sam’s card expire . . . so I’ll check out our Costco. Thanks.

Just read some earlier posts for the first time - about PC on nectarines. I definitely have PC. But for some strange reason, my nectarines are very clean! ? Plums got bitten a LOT . . . but I sprayed and must have (accidentally) at the right times - because later fruit shows very very little damage. I should ‘knock on wood’ . . . because it seems that every time I share a good report - then ‘Uh Oh’!

I used Bonide fruit & orchard products. And Immunox. And sprayed Imidan 2X. That seems to be the ‘ticket’ for me, here in VA.

Anyways . . . I am VERY excited about the nectarines, which came with all sorts of warnings about their difficulty to grow . . . more so than peaches. I am not finding that to be the case. ?

2 Likes

I also missed the posts above about PC on nectarines. I have had sporadic problems with it, some years not much damage and some years a lot. One thing I do to address it is not to thin so much. My Summer Beaut got nailed by PC this spring, but it had a massive set which I did not thin much of so I still have a full crop. This is with Surround. I also hit nectarines much more heavily with Surround, you can tell by comparing it to the other peach trees by it, it is whiter.

My nectarines have gotten hit by thrips every year. but more this year (maybe, there are more thrips around since I never got to kill any in years past.

As for PC, it has damaged my peaches more than my nectarines. Not sure why. This year PC and OFM damage has been minimal as I switched to zeta-cypermethrin, instead of Surround and Spinosad.

We lost all SpiceZee nects to PC this year, despite Surround, Indar, spinosad and Clemson bags. It was demoralizing after heavy fruit set, thinning and bagging to have no fruit. Only able to harvest 1 heavily split Arctic Jay (had heavy spring rains x 1 month). Tropic Snow peach fared better with 1 dozen juicy fruit. Adding Avaunt next spring because darn it I want some good nects.

2 Likes

Zeta Cypermethrin . . . is that Sevin Garden Tech?

No, the new Sevin.

The old Sevin is Carbaryl. Both bottles look similar. You need to read the ingredients.

Ate my first ever Honey Kist, from a third leaf tree on Citation. Even though it was only 18.5 Brix (due to somewhat rainy weather the past three weeks), the flavor and sweetness were excellent! I love the Honey series… thanks @fruitnut for advertising it to us.

7 Likes

Nice looking fruit. You are better at growing these outside than I am. Stink bugs or animals take mine out.

It was bagged. I could not have saved a single fruit this season without bagging. I had swarms and swarms of Japanese beetles.

2 Likes

I did a search and did not see any posts about Durbin on the forum. All posts on the socials seem to be very high praise…looks like a high chill mid ripening. Bred for the SE and seems to have been highly disease resistant (back then).

Pics are sparse…but found this one on the social medias…

2 Likes