Need help identifying

I had them and you cant’s miss the appearance. The aphids Rosdonald pictured few weeks ago had completely different look, definitely not woolly. And one more. I had woolly aphids even this year and been occupied with the move I let the infestation to come pretty far. But when I cleaned them out with the hose , there were no bumps, there where no bumps few months later as well, so I guess the infestation should be more severe, and my was pretty bad. And you can’t miss severe infestation.

Actually you can miss a scattered fuzzy splotch…when you have 100 plus cultivars of apples as Rosdonald and I both do. Looking 300 grafts over ever five days or something and you can miss a thing or three. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought she is talking about one particular three, the same one that had aphids on in fall) If not - you are correct.

1 Like

I could be mistaken…have been before. But, the aphids photo of them on back of leaf and the blob on her original post are not the same tree, leaf, or date I’m betting.

Speaking of woolly aphids. The picture you posted shows a VERY light infestation. I had it on netted espalier tree, so no beneficial insects. When I took the net off it looked like a Halloween in August! The white staff looked like creepy felt they use to imitative the webs on the bushes.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Personally, I’ve not seen any limbs more covered than the pix I posted…thank goodness.

1 Like

You are right on that one @BlueBerry. It was an Aunt Rachel. In fact many of the trees had aphids. This pink lady is the only one with galls or burr knots like that. Most of my trees M111. This one is different but not sure what. I look at every tree at least every other day. Call me crazy! I don’t remember seeing a single red bump. But as you said, those things can get past you.

I’m definitely going to use dormant spray later before the trees wake up. I was tossing around the idea of laying out a tarp and cutting out those red “whichever they are”. I was going to finish with doc farwell on each spot.

It is odd that they are spaced about as far apart as you would expect a dormant bud, even on their orientation around the limbs.

Good grief, if it’s possible, I’ve got it on my trees v I’ve learned more in the past two years than in a lifetime of growing. Thank all of you so much for your input!!

1 Like

I get burr knots. Mostly on M-111 rootstocks. Some on G-30. Hardly ever above grafts.

But, I suppose it’s not clear in every situation or incident. I’ve learned a good deal also.
Especially since buying my first red fleshed apple 10 years ago and getting a bug about collecting varieties and crossing. 30 years ago I had around 18 apple trees and around 75 hives of bees. Currently a couple empty hives…and maybe 140 apple cultivars in my collection.

Woolly Aphids come from the roots of the tree. They deform branches when the infestation gets large. Termite chemicals will get rid of them. Drench the soil around the tree. They do not go away unless you treat the tree and hand wipe branches to kill them.

1 Like

I sprinkled some systemic insecticide granules around that tree with that idea in mind.

Mine are in pots…I don’t see any in dormancy on the roots.
(Maybe 'cause some of my rootstocks are resistant)
But, I indeed did/do hand smash any I see on limbs.

We found some of these on a pink lady in the orchard. Im thinking ours were coming from the root stock. Not sure if this is induced by aphids, but I couldn’t find a better picture. There is a burr knot at the bottom, but it is harder to see than these red bumps.

I had the exact same on my pink lady. There seemed to be some debate about whether or not they were woolly aphid induced, or something else. I can confirm I had aphids but definitely not woolly.

Regardless I decided to remove them (I know, lots, right?) Because I knew I could not tolerate having them on the tree. There was also some concern about it spreading to roots and interfering in tree health. I took each off with a box cutter then topped each spot with heal and seal. I have checked them a couple times since and good so far. More debatable perhaps is the fact I sprinkled some systemic insecticide in case they have taken hold I’ve the tree or roots.

I hate this for you but it confirms Im not the only one. I have seen an occasional one here or there in another tree and I remove them straight away. You can find the discussion in the thread above. Best of luck!