Need help to decide the fate of this decorative(?) cherry

This large cherry tree was hit by very late hard frost last year in full leaves and lost almost all its leaves. Leaves regrew on some branches but not on others. Also it produced a lot of new shoots along the trunk during last year. After the winter it is in bloom, but about half of the branches dead. I was going to cut dry branches when I saw the damage to its trunk. I am not sure if it is canker or frost damage, the top portion of the wood started to heal, but the bottom doesn’t look good, it has dead black decomposed tissues behind the bark.
I am not sure if this is decorative cherry or unremarkable fruiting cherry - I think I saw cherries on it two years ago when we first looked at the house, I even tried one, but it was small and not worse it as fruit, but it flowers nice.
So, does it make sense to spend time on proper pruning or that trunk damage will lead to the death of the tree anyway? Does the damage pose any danger(infection?) to my sour cherries, plums and and peach?
And if prune, should I leave at least some of the trunk grows in order to support the roots as tree already lost half of its branches last year?

with that large crack in the bark that low, id remove the whole tree. probably could be a vector for disease for your other stone fruit trees. i wouldn’t even use the woodchips from it. my father had that happen to his American plum and it eventually killed the tree. looks to be some kind of fungal canker.

2 Likes

Thanks, Steve, this what I am leaning toward as well. We will be removing the tree ourselves, so no wood chips, we will burn it next winter when the wood dries… I am wondering, planting a peach tree on its place probably will not be wise…

2 Likes

I had a canker with a split very similar to that, way down near the ground on a 20 year old shiro Japanese plum tree.

I took a very sharp knife and carved out any wood that looked to be affected till I got to clean looking wood all around the split in the trunk.

It’s had the split in the trunk for many years now, and that shiro is one of my most healthy, productive, and vigorous plum trees I have.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of experience growing cherries, so I can’t say how a cherry tree would respond to the same treatment.

3 Likes

Galina,
For me, if it does not produce good fruit, I won’t keep it. I would give the space to something else fruitful and productive instead.

2 Likes

If cutting it down regardless, it wouldn’t hurt to top work it to a few good varieties. I’m not sure what all would be compatible for Prunus but you might have a few options.

2 Likes

The location of the tree is not good for any new young trees. Two other mature decorative trees will suppress it. Also, any fruit tree with low horizontal branches will be on the way - there is a path right below the tree. Ant last one, it is close to septic system.

1 Like

I have several fruit trees growing 10 feet from a row of 5 large/mature pine trees in the back. My trees grow relatively well and have produced. The issue I have is the lack of full sun due to tall oaks blocking it.

1 Like