Need Raspberry Advice

Heritage was like that for me last year but this year it’s really doing well. It just a little longer to get started.

I am so jealous! There are very few named varieties in Australia. There is one un-named yellow, a small number of named reds, and probably numerous varieties that are never available to home growers.

thats funny as there are 3 or 4 varieties they sell here in the states that come from new zealand. kiwi gold is one i can remember off the top of my head.

I have Kiwi Gold and love it. The berries have a slight taste of honey and are prolific!

1 Like

would you have a few sprouts you want to rehome? :wink: got some ohio treasure black raspberry rooted cuttings i could trade for. they produce 2 crops a early florocane and later primocane crop.

The quarantine restrictions between Australia and NZ (or any other country) are ridiculous. I bet we have far more diseases in Australia than they have in NZ.

1 Like

When we bought our house back in 2015 I was planning to plant a raspberry patch. The previous owner had the same idea and already planted one. The berries have been less then memorable so far. There fate is peaty much sealed they are being yanked. If on the off chance they produce decent berries by july maybe they can get transplanted to the woods behind my house. They question I have for you guys is are these plants deseased and should I dispose of them sooner rather then later.

1 Like

My first guess would be more nitrogen or less water. From the pics though with the yellowing leaves all through the plants, I would say nitrogen. Just a guess though.

I’m growing a berry that was sold to me as Heritage and its fruited this year. It’s defi ately not Heritage. I’m guessing fall gold or double gold. It’s definately not Anne. Has a peachy pink color to it. The flavor is dynamite but it’s a little too crumbly and friable for my liking. Flavor though is top notch with a strong raspberry flavor and is very sweet. Too bad whatever it is has such a friable texture. Ill try to get some pics

2 Likes

It sounds like Fall Gold to me from others’ accounts of it. Crumbly, great flavor and sweet. I haven’t heard enough about Double Gold to say if it’s that one. I planted both this spring, my DG sprouted a bit before withering up and dying, but the FG has done great.

It probably is fall gold. I bought it at tractor supply and they were selling fall gold at the same time. Probably a mix up

2 Likes

Double gold is very pink… I thought Fall gold was a straight yellow berry.

most yellow raspberries get a red tint when super/over ripe

I left last years canes to grow into a florocane crop this year and have quickly discovered how crowed and out of control berry ants can get. With the primocanes last year the growth was more vertical with berries on the higher parts of the plant but these florocane are a mess. Lots of berries growing at or near the ground. My trellis system is not helping much with this type of growth.

Any tips on tidying up a raspberry run that’s full of floricane, primocanes, and spreading suckers? I will remove the florocanes immediately after I harvest all the fruit, but for now how can I keep them off the ground.

jam!

1 Like

You could use stakes where the trellis isn’t working. I deal with this all the time as I grow summer bearing raspberries, so the mix of floricanes and primocanes is not optional with them. They are tough to manage no doubt.

1 Like

those bundles of bamboo work wonders for that. i try to grow erect growing, short cane cultivars. joan j and autumn britten are good examples. polkas not too bad either. my heritages were big plants and when full of fruit you had to trellis or stake the ones starting to lay down. don’t be afraid to prune some canes out so they don’t get out of hand. they will sprawl out big time in a season!

1 Like

Checked my fall bearers recently and have some Anne and Caroline berries coming on, surprised they’re producing this late. No berries on my Fall Gold canes, though. All my other rasps are Summer bearers.

@Girly I came across this old post. I have similar situation in zone 9b. Partial shade for BP1 and Anne. Do you still see good production from them?

I highly recommend growing both in partial shade in zone 9B!
My production has dwindled mainly due to my fault (I have been very busy and did not have time to take good care of them.)

Good luck!

1 Like