Need some help identitifying a couple of bushes

This one is growing in my field randomly in the aronia row. It could be a purple leaf plum but I’m confused where it came from. Is the fruit going to be edible since it bloomed? If it’s a seedling and my guess is that’s what it is we may have to wait and find out. Never saw another like it.

This is one a friend asked me to identify

The second tree is a redbud tree. It’s just that it does not have as many flowers on it as they usually do. Here in south Georgia they can get about 25 to 30 feet tall. It’s in the bean family. As for the purple plum, i’m guesing its a P. cacifera seedling. They tend to not produce much in the way of fruit when they have purple leaves, but maybe this one will be the exception. If I were to give a guess, I would guess that it’s a sucker from the rootstock of one of your European plums. God bless.

Marcus

2 Likes

Thank you I appreciate the information. I considered redbud but due to the sparse blooms ruled it out.

1 Like

Small pink bean flowers, heart shaped leaves and zig zag twig patter, I’m 95% sure redbud. My guess is that it’s stressed. It looks like someone is trying to manage it as a bush. I doubt that a redbud would like that much. Yes, they usually explode into flower, but I’ve seen plenty of stressed ones or ones growing in too much shade bloom like that. God bless.

Marcus

1 Like

I have a red bud in the front yard , it didn’t bloom very good this spring , I think due to the sporadic hard freezes we had.

2 Likes

That may be why the one in the photo has bloom issues. Thank you!

Red bud trees very odd bloom times here in Kentucky…some 3 weeks out of sequence. Some with poor blooms. A few 'show off’s" that look the best I’ve ever seen them.

1 Like

Isn’t the first one a crabapple?

Dax

1 Like

It’s possible but most think it’s a plum. Have a crabapple with that color leaves