Need some ideas... what can I do with these?

I have about 7 of these. I am wondering how to turn them into useful things. Maybe bird houses? Well, I don’t mind humming birds live in there, do they prefer live in a house like these? But I don’t want Robins live in there. Can I make them into kinda bee house to attract mason bees, bumblebees or any other beneficial bees? I can paint them, or drill holes etc. Any suggestion?

1 Like

I have had wrens move into a house from a gourd that a friend gave me. Hummingbirds and robins do not use bird houses. Google up gourd bird houses and you should be able to find directions how to make one.

1 Like

Thank you! I will do so. Did you paint the gourds? If so what color / patterns the birds like the most?

My Mom gave me this, so I’ve never hung it outside (she’s since passed). I’ve always liked the design. This has the bird painted on it and then the rest was sprayed in polyurethane. Other than that, just a hole and a piece of raw-hide lacing. Pardon the dust, it’s on top of a cabinet and I don’t get up there as often as I should.

8 Likes

Very nice made. Thanks for sharing the idea.

1 Like

My friend had just painted the gourd with green paint, and the wrens found that just fine. You have to cure the gourd, so look up on google how to do that. I think it is just letting it dry out good.

2 Likes

The size of the hole will help determine what birds might be interested in using a birdhouse. You will see some very specific sizes given for different species. So if you know what you’re trying to attract you might find a specific size is best. For instance I’ve seen 1 1/8 inch hole given for a chickadee birdhouse.

Also, make sure to put at least one smaller drain hole in the bottom so it doesn’t fill with rain water.

4 Likes

I have seen recommended1-11/2 inches in general size hole. Did not see specific size. If you find website that match bird with hole size. I’d appreciate

1 Like

Here is one site with a listing by species. And you can buy a bunch more gourds there if you find you like making them and want to go into production!

If you wanted to find out more about particular species or just what types of birds you are mostly likely to get to nest, you could reach out to the Chicago Ornithological Society. If you just use the contact us link on their site they might have some information they can send you for your area.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!! This give a point to get this project started.

1 Like

We look forward to seeing what you create and of course who takes up residence!

By the way, I spaced out and forgot about the Cornell Ornithology Lab, which is a great reference on everything birding. Here is their page on bird houses, although not specifically gourd types.
https://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/

2 Likes

I will post pictures once the project is done. Who takes up the residence might have to wait for a while. Should I put the houses out now or in the spring time? If should put out now, I need to adjust its priority level.

1 Like

Early spring would be fine, but allow time for the paint or lacquer smell to dissipate.

2 Likes