Nèfles de Japon

I have been seeing a smallish (about the size of a small apricot) medlar in the outdoor markets. Nèfles are medlars; usually seen in the fall. But this is the Medlar of Japan, a spring variety. Their season is ending but I’m sure I will still find them this Saturday. They supposedly taste nothing like the fall variety. Anyone growing them? If so, what do they taste like? Their skin looks thick. Thanks

3 Likes

They’re also called loquats and there seem to be quite a few on here growing them.

I have fond memories of loquats from Australia, but I don’t think I can grow them here in Ireland.

1 Like

I hope you buy a few and let us know how they taste! If they taste good, I’ll pay you for your time and effort to send me a few seeds. The common types here grow easily from seed and, supposedly, grow true to type.

There are quite a few loquat growers here. Outside of the main growers in CA and southern Oregon, there are even a few of us in WA hoping they will do OK in zone 8, 15 to 20F (-9 to -6C).

Chris

1 Like

They look like this! Found it on the web. I will take pics of the real thing on Saturday.

2 Likes

They are loquats no? Did you saw my pics about it?

1 Like

I often search french nurseries, and they definitely call loquats “neflier du japon” meaning “Japanese medlars”. I think because the leaves of medlars and loquats are very similar looking and the fruit similar sizes.

4 Likes

Loquats :+1:

1 Like

@cdamarjian:

I have tasted them a great numbers of time (France, Spain and other places) and they taste great. Not really peach nor abricot, juicy and quite refreshing. I remember the skin is very very thin and bruise easily. Well worth it to grow them for sure, if you have the climate of course! Marc

My loquats… :yum:

5 Likes

Went to the large marche yesterday. They are gone, season is over. Next spring!

Quel dommage! Jusque-la. Thanks for checking!

1 Like