Nematodes vs. Curculio

I’m happy to report that nematodes work great against plum curculio here near Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I applied some Steinernema riobrave nematodes under my plum trees last year, and this year, I’ve seen a huge reduction in the percentage of fruit with plum curculio damage. I went from almost all of the plums being riddled with curculio, to more than half being perfect. Now the squirrels get to eat perfect plums. Here’s a big plate of plums I processed, without finding one curculio. The varieties are Guthrie (orangish yellow) and NC McKibbon (red.)

21 Likes

@TheLoud where did you source your Steinernema riobrave from. Only place I can find them at is arbico organics and they are out of stock.

1 Like

I got them from Southeastern Insectaries., but they don’t seem to have them available now. I don’t know the best time to apply them.

1 Like

Congrats! I tried nematodes twice but didn’t see a big reduction. Maybe I will try them one more time… I used Arbico’s Sc and Sf last time, not Sr. I also applied Dr. Pyes Scanmask which I think is also Sf. So either I didn’t get a good application or Sr is the key.

1 Like

I read that Sr is best against plum curculio specifically.

2 Likes

I looked up various studies and could only find ones which said Sf and Sr are equally good. Still if there was Sr available I would try it.

2 Likes

I emailed them and they told me That they do have riobrave that in stock, but you have to email them or call them to specifically request riobrave. They will then mail you riobrave instead

1 Like

This is interesting.
May be expensive to properly treat a large area.
They may be easy to raise and spread around ?

2 Likes

Wax moth larva are available as food.

So maybe a little science project ?

2 Likes

To me , my questions would be ,…
Did they arrive alive ?
Did they survive the introduction ?
Putting them on live wax worms should tell the tail.
And multiple your initial investment, if successful ?
Don’t know much about this really just an idea

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered some. Also will try the Sf one more time.

I will only be able to treat under plum and apricot trees but hope that will be enough.

1 Like

Scott,
When is a good time to apply these nematodes to the soil?

What are the risks with another fruit trees by applying nematodes? For example I heard figs and nematodes don’t go well together! Just wondering about that with other fruit trees

That is a good question. I asked the customer service people by email, and I’m waiting for their reply, which I will share

1 Like

They said they can be applied any time as long as the temperatures are over 40 degrees.

3 Likes

I recall somewhere reading that it is best to apply in the evening before a cloudy rainy spell, to get them into the soil without toasting them first. Also around the time the curcs are entering the soil is the best timing I recall reading from somewhere. That is why I ordered now.

1 Like

That sounds very logical

You’re thinking of root knot nematodes. Those are a totally different species, herbivores that live off plant roots. The nematodes I’m talking about are predators that eat insects. Make sure you get the right species, Steinernema riobrave.

4 Likes

We had 90F since yesterday and a few more days of 90+.

Both nematodes and I would be toasted in the middle of the day these days.

3 Likes

I suspect whether they are of any value depends a great deal on your local circumstances and population of wild hosts for curculio. Wild plum is ubiquitous where I am, and wild crabapple not uncommon. Ornamental crab apples also host curculio. The net is that curculio move into my orchard every year from the surrounding woodland edges - I can actually see them arrive in successive trees as they move into the orchard over a period of a couple of days. Killing the ones that breed in my trees obviously wouldn’t hurt, but even if I could totally eliminate their breeding, I’d still have a curculio problem requiring spraying for control.

2 Likes