New apple disease in the Northeast-Marssonina Leaf Blotch

I have Goldrush, Enterprise, Liberty, Golden Russet, Ashmead’s, Macoun, Hewes, Harrison and Bramtot. As last year Goldrush had a nice bout of CAR I applied Immunox early (April & May) and to all. This year minimal CAR and Goldrush and Ashmead’s are the only two that seem to suffer from what appears to be this Marssonina Leaf blotch business.

2 Likes

Yes, I sprayed Indar and Infuse primarily to control brown rot.

Any thoughts on whether this is marsonnia leaf blotch or one of the many other leaf diseases Goldrush gets? The tree has been almost completely defoliated. The defoliation isn’t a huge issue because the entire large crop rotted. It appears Goldrush is going to need a lot of fungicides to be successful for me. IMG_20210805_112714578

I get that too. Lost maybe 30-50% of leaves on GR last year. This year minimal loss fortunately. I assumed it was same pathogen causing the fruit rot - Colletotrichum sp. - but that’s just a guess. I have not applied fungicide to my trees.

I’ve dealt with what I believe to be Glomerella leaf spot before, and this looks different, and much more aggressive.

What sort of crop were you able to get from Goldrush this year? I had a really promising crop until they all rotted out.

I’m used to seeing it with more purple-black coloration in the mix. Check the photos in the link. However, it’s quite possible that in different conditions coloration would be different. Maybe you should send in a sample to your state pathologist through your cooperative extension.

1 Like

I’ve got a real nice crop of GR bagged. Should start dropping in a couple of weeks and harvest through Oct. All the unbagged ones are slowly but surely dropping with rot. Only about 10% of baggers rotting. I grafted old strain winesap. black twig and various limbertwigs hoping they may hold up better to rot but no fruits yet. Yates has had none so far - all bagged. I may try a monthly spray next summer to see if that can produce similar outcome as the bags, which I’m souring on because they seem to advance ripening and maybe wash out flavor a bit in this heat. Sorry, I’m straying off topic now…id be interested whether you get a positive ID on your GR leaves.

2 Likes

@barry You may have identified the reason so many of my apples taste muted, almost tasteless. The ziplock bags. Anyone else notice diminished taste when using bags?

1 Like

You should start a new topic on this as it’s too important to those engaged in using bags to miss the discussion. Brix is almost everything.

1 Like

I see what I believe is Marssonina Leaf Blotch on one of my Goldrush even though I sprayed twice with Immunox (for CAR) at petal drop and ten days later. My other Goldrush, identical spray schedule, has zero MLB.

1 Like

MLB seems to be a summer fungus and spring sprays may have no effect.

1 Like

Maybe next summer I’ll do one spray of Immunox or Oxidate 2.0 mid-June and see what happens.

I have the same. Likely MLB on Goldrush and Ashmeads. Other apples have minimal to no signs of infection. Notebook says my last of 3 Immunox sprays was 15 May.

Ok …
now I am getting worried !
I was worried when all the leafs fell off my apple trees a month or so ago. Looked really bad.

BUT NOW … !
They have decided to send out a new flush of leafs …
AND … bloom ! Late September !
Most trees have blooms on them, some a heavy bloom late September.

This cannot be good !

The trees should be going dormant , but this new disease has them thinking it spring. , sending out new flush of growth and bloming . Worried about them hardening off for winter.
Will all the flower buds open this fall. ?
No flowers in spring. ?
Lack of hardening off before winter ( dormancy. )
Winter injury ?
My trees look ( for the first time) more confused than I .
( Not really “my “. trees…
I do hope they see me as “ their human “
i do wonder sometimes…? .)

?
2 Likes

I’ve also been seeing some new leaves popping out, but it’s not unusual here to get a little bump of growth this time of year. (No blooms, though! But none of my trees were fully defoliated.)

I’m not sure of this observation yet, but the spread of disease also seems to be slowing down - possibly connected with the temps getting cooler, especially at night?

2 Likes

Full bloom is weird, but apple trees are tough. Probably you won’t have any crop next year and all energy will be put into recovery.

1 Like

@Hillbillyhort my goldrush is doing the same thing. Defoliated, new growth, now blooming.

Several years of that in a row could not be good.

None of my other trees are affected so far. There are three other apple trees within a 30 foot radius, 0 symptoms on any of them. Goldrush is my favorite tasting apple from all of those, though. I’d hate to lose it. I plan a fungicide assault next year and hope for slightly drier weather.

Goldrush may require a third spray in the first week of Sept. I’m seeing more than natural leaf loss on some of the trees that were last sprayed a month ago. Other sites that were last sprayed a month and a half ago are fine that I’m sure would be defoliated by now otherwise, so it’s all a matter of site.

The later the apple ripens the longer it needs its leaves.

1 Like