New apple & pecan hobby

Got a hot date with 11 Kanza this weekend

6 Likes

Squirrels taste good tooā€¦

2 Likes

11 more rockbridge kanza in the ground

2 Likes

Is that one type 1 to six type 2ā€™s? As in one Hark for every six Kanza?
I imagine they shed and receive pollen at the appropriate times, correct?

Are you saying youā€™ll have Hark and Kanza this fall (2020)? What are the price, size and age of them, and are they shipped bare root or potted?

Thanks.

1 Like

Right about 1 Hark to 6 Kanza or vice-versa. The two shed pollen at the same time thru the entire cycle. There couldnā€™t be better pollen shed and receptivity.

My family has an excellent plan and yes Fall 2020 I will be selling trees of not only Hark and Kanza but of many cultivars of: pecan, hickory, hican, walnuts (b. walnut, heartnut, Persian/English) persimmon, pawpaw.

My family will have a website before then.

What weā€™re doing now is using 1-size pot for everything. Itā€™s a Stuewe 30" tall container, the TP430. You/all will get a tree thatā€™s fully rooted (finally in a long root-system container - but not too long either) of which planting-success will immensely go up.

Weā€™ll try to get a 2-3ā€™ grafted-tree in all weā€™re selling for lots of reasons:

1. we may get that size tree very easily from a 1-season push of growth; or, we will hold it for another Spring to push a second time.

2. we use Priority Mail tube boxes taped together and the maximum height is 66"/5.5ā€™

3. we will grow my rootstocks from seed in them 1-year in advance; graft on them the following Spring, & likely have a plant ready for sale that year.

and shipping will be included so #3) we can ship from IL to everywhere in the United States that allows trees with media being sent for 25$ to 35$. Weā€™re pretty well guaranteeing success because of the container. It doesnā€™t matter how anything is shipped anymore, itā€™s expensive. To get a bareroot tree from Stark Bros. itā€™s like 18-20 bucks, and thatā€™s from MO. to IL. So,itā€™ll be very fair and we know itā€™ll be a great product. We may lose money on shipping (10 bucks) but itā€™ll serve everyone well. My tree price will be 85$ probabably, maybe 90 at the most. These are going to be beautiful trees.

In addition, these containers/trees will grow on top of hardware cloth for air-pruning. Thatā€™s all (I) personally, have to say.

Dax

6 Likes

Ok, thanks. Sounds like youā€™re shipping some good sized plants. So the long pots are because of the long taproot? Do they have the good feeder roots, too? I ask this because I ordered some pecans years ago, and even though they had long taproots, they didnā€™t have a lot of the finer roots, and they all ended up dying on me within a couple years. Maybe itā€™s because they didnā€™t have hardy enough rootstocks (Caddo). What are your rootstocks for pecan, walnuts, etc?

Also curious as to what variety of English walnuts youā€™ll have. We have tons of black walnuts here, and I do not like them, way too bitter. I do know the English versions are sweeter.

1 Like

The taproot will be snipped so branching begins right from the start.

Persians:
Cascade
Dabbā€™s N-1
Broadview
Pasturzak (spelling? thatā€™s a tough one for me to remember)
Hansen
Fately-5

Rootstocks:
improved pecan: Kanza or Hark root
black walnut only
American persimmon
improved pawpaw seed - good because when the graft dies (varying life expectancy (Youā€™ll have to look that up Guys) - youā€™ll have a chance at a good seedling as your lifelong tree/colony.
I hear through the grapevine that there are " trueists (not a word " that want hickory on hickory. Shellbark hickory is all Iā€™d ever use. Itā€™s comparable enough to pecan to set excellent size nuts as well as fill them (the kernel.) And usually, itā€™s people wanting hickory on hickory. Every now and then if I have nothing else Iā€™ll graft pecan on Shellbark hickory, however, thatā€™ll be known to the customer.

4 Likes

The problem with pecan on any hickory is that the pecan scion outgrows the hickory by a large margin. This is true of pecan in general as it usually outgrows all other hickory species.

The pecan seedlings I grew in TP818 pots developed a good root system but in many cases went down the pot, then back up near the top, then back down again making folded roots. Iā€™m debating getting some deeper pots to use for the next round. Eight inches diameter by eighteen inches deep may not be optimum for growing pecan 2 years. Iā€™m still experimenting!

3 Likes

Darrel,

Iā€™ve not seen pecan grafted on shellbark as an older tree. Might you have a photo example from a book or an actual tree?

Fred wonā€™t tell anyone shellbark is a better rootstock than pecan or grows as fast but he sure thinks it can keep up and keep up pretty well. Iā€™d sure appreciate any examples to be viewed.

Dax

1 Like

I donā€™t have any ready examples to show, but can tell you how to find out very easily. Plant seedlings of both species side by side and watch to see which gets tallest fastest. The fastest growing seedlings will almost always make the fastest growing grafted trees. The converse is also true, slow growing seedlings will make slow growing grafted trees. L.J. Grauke wrote up some things about rootstock for pecans documenting this relationship. He stressed fast growing seedlings for fast growing trees.

There are situations where hickory or hickory hybrids make sense as rootstock. Swamp hickory for example is very tolerant of wet roots. One of the studies in Louisiana showed that pecan/swamp hickory hybrids outperform other rootstocks in wet marshy soils.

Iā€™m very curious how a pecan/nutmeg hybrid would do as rootstock. Maybe this is something I can try in a few more years.

1 Like

Year 3 follow up

Deer are getting aggressive but trees are still there. Added some posts to support fence. Lost 2 trees due to drought or operator error.

1 Like