New knife, anyone tried it?

Saw this at the store a couple of times before temptation got the best of me.

Lock back, razor sharp, sharpened on one side, $15.

Victorinox for scale
Grafting knife?
Surely I can find a use for this.
Anyone have a personal review?

3 Likes

I have the Victorix grafting knife and like it very much, the only complaint I have is it’s black color, it’s hard to find when I misplace or lose it in some ground cover
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

Spray paint it orange, or they make some sort of enamel stuff you can boil in water and plop plastic in to (temper? not sure what the word would be, convert?) change the color.

2 Likes

Yea the Victorinox is my go too knife. Just a sucker for the latest and hopefully greatest I guess.

The point on that thing being curved would be very easy when grafting and pulling the knife toward you to have the tip hit your hand & arm holding the stick as you slice thru making (a) cut. That looks very dangerous, very-very dangerous to graft with. Edit

1 Like

Get caught on your shirt, clothing, jacket.

A lot of my cuts are 3-4" long on 1/2" to 1" wood. That knife is not meant for grafting. Edit

1 Like

i don’t know what technique your using. But the bent point at the tip, does not seem like a danger to me. (at least not with my technique)

I am curious. is the blade a little thicker than the vict? It might be a really shallow secondary edge. But I’m guessing it’s a little thick for a grafting knife. Also might be some softer steel. But fiskars does make some nice stuff… let us know how it works after a few grafts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was wondering how thick it tapers from.

Yeah, I over-thought that. I agree. Thanks, Oscar.

4 Likes

It’s probably twice as thick as the Vic, really thin where the cut happens.
I’ve thrown more money at less for sure.

Nah/No, I was moved on very quickly to this one. Not wound up, confused, yes.

IRRELEVANCE I guess for future posters.
Dax

2 Likes

Looks like it would be good for the advertised purpose. Edges that curve in like that are good for getting clean slices on round things, as the curve pulls the material into the cutting edge. For grafting, though, I think you’d have less control over the shape of your cuts, but you could probably make it work. The downside is they can be a bit trickier to sharpen than more “typical” blade shapes. Totally doable, but you have to think about it more.

5 Likes

also seems like little work, to just grind the inwards curving tip of.

I like completely straight blades for grafting. (not the curved outwards tip, like opinels have)

1 Like

Victorinox, bought two, one straight and one with this blade design. The hook blade concerns me, will find out today which I prefer. I am a sucker for tools, and I’m old, so somebody is going to get some good stuff if they can find it in my mess one day.

3 Likes

I have an electric whetstone so straightening it out wouldn’t be a problem. Even thought about making a barklifter on it, better see if I like it first. Yea they could do an episode of American Pickers with all my cra…merchandise.

4 Likes

I don’t like the shape of that knife for grafting. I like the cutting edge to be as close as possible to the handle for better control. I’d want the blade profile to look something like this:

edit: Looks like it might be good for harvesting broccoli or asparagus.

11 Likes

Would be too bulky for my grafting usage.

I am using scalpels for t budding this spring.

You can buy real disposable scalpels off the internet (cheaply!). They eliminate lots of problems if they aren’t too light weight for your use.

2 Likes

or foraging mushrooms. :wink:

2 Likes

I thought that’s what these were for :lying_face:.

4 Likes

I saw your post and wanted the knife. Ordered it from Amazon and it arrived today. It is certainly razor sharp. It seems to me that it will be useful when dealing with larger caliper rootstocks/scions. I’ll find out in a month or two.

4 Likes