New Pomegranate tree

Here it is! I have never grown one. My question is, Are these supposed to go dormant? Also does it need to be pruned for it to flower in spring?
June 2021

Nov 2021

3 Likes

They do go dormant. Mine are going dormant now. They are like most fruit trees in that pruning can help you get a better crop. I don’t prune my pomegranates much at all though.

1 Like

The rule is evergeens do not go dormant while deciduous does.

That’s a pretty Pom you got there!

Thank you all! I will keep an eye on it.

Yes.

No.

1 Like

Pic from the other day. It’s starting to happen now.

1 Like

Here it’s starting another year. It started pushing leaves a few days ago. Pic is from yesterday Feb 1

1 Like

Feb 23 lots of new growth!

Does anyone know when these are supposed to flower? Some youtubers in CA said around April or May? is this true? or is it one of those weird trees that can flower “when they feel like it?” LOL

March 22
Watered and fertilized today

When in the season a pomegranate bush begins to flower depends on the cultivator, on the local climate, and the age of the bush. March - May flowers can start to bloom in the warmest parts of California. Here in North Carolina the '‘first week of April’ is the earliest that we have seen blooms start, and June being the latest that I have seen flowering begin here. Some cultivators can start to bloom in February in the warmest parts of California. I am guessing that April, or May, or June is when yours might start to flower.

2 Likes

Here in Canada the weather has finally caught up. The next few days are 28C feeling even warmer. The pomegranate flowers are coming now… I saw at least 10. Not sure of the exact name… It is a grafted tree!
May 12

3 Likes

Here she is today Sept 27 has two blooms currently.

2 Likes

The pomegranate is still growing new shoots. No signs of it going dormant just yet… maybe into DEC THIS YEAR… ?
Nov 21

Ahaha finally starting to go dormant. A bit later this year.
Dec 11 -you can see we had our first real snow fall :frowning:

1 Like

Nice plant.
is it in the greenhouse all winter ?
do you heat the greenhouse with the lightbulbs?

in the picture you also have a banana. is she also in the greenhouse over the winter?

I’m interested because you live in a cold zone and only have a plastic sheet greenhouse according to the fotos

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes the pomegranate stays in there until about early May. I do not use lightbulbs to heat it , Oh how I wish it was that easy. Those lights are just so I can see at night if I’m ever out there. A fan and a heather is used. There were two sheets of plastic used. I have a few varieties of banana plants and they are all in the ground. It’s zone 5b I live in and the greenhouse jumps between Zone 9b-10A. If you want to do something , just do it and enjoy it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the information.
It is very interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

I assume it take a lot of electricity to heat your green house in the winter?
Good idea with the fan and heater.

Are your bananas outside or in the greenhouse in the ground? with a heavy layer of mulch in winter?

I have some of the cold hardy pomegranates.
One winter they experienced 5F, some froze only on the tips and others froze almost completely back to the ground. but they all grew back quickly.
i think such a hard variety could also be planted in your zone outside with a layer of mulch. even if they always freeze back they grow back quickly.

I considered it building a greenhouse outside but finding an efficient way to heat it…
Instead I build a tropical box inside and insulated it with very cheap and super efficient space blankets and only the heat of the light makes it pretty warm, would be not necessary but I didn’t want waste the heat.

1 Like

Very nice set up. Remember that pomegranates and citrus are easier to grow because they are not tropical plants. not need for extreme heat. I’m sure you’ll make a good decision down the road! This is my parents house I’m about to move out this up coming year. so this greenhouse will have to go. This one was up for about 8 years . It’s been a good good experiment for when I buy a house in the next couple years. Yes the bananas are in the ground in the greenhouse… I usually mulch them but didn’t this year. So far things are doing fine.

1 Like

Matt, great documentation on this project. Are you planning on selling your greenhouse plants or are they moving with you?

1 Like