Newbie needs help with pear tree

This poor pear tree has something going on. After research im leaning towards fireblight but wanted some more experienced opinions.

Also any ideas on how to procede would be much appreciated and helpful!

I recently bought several other trees that are not fireblight resistant and im worried. (Apple and Fig)

1 Like

I am not sure which part of the tree you would like to show us?

Could you please take another pic or two? A close up?

What is this pear variety? Where are you located?

When you click on the picture, there is a whole album with pictures and some closeups

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! I uploaded a gallery to imgur wasnt sure how to upload to show them all at once.

Imgur

View post on imgur.com

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Im not sure on the pear variety we just moved into this house a year ago and it was here.

Was planning on adding a few more trees but scared now.

Located in DFW area Texas zona 8A

1 Like

I would say yes, fire blight.

Can you check with your local extension service which pear and apple varieties do well in your area? They probably know best.

2 Likes

Fireblight won’t affect the fig FYI. Look on wikipedia for a list of affected tree specific.

Side note, the wiki entry is a wild ride:

The disease is believed to be indigenous to North America, from where it spread to most of the rest of the world.

Fire blight is not believed to be present in Australiathough it might possibly exist there.[2] It has been a major reason for a long-standing embargo on the importation of New Zealand apples to Australia.[3]Japan was likewise believed to be without the disease, but it was discovered in pears grown in northern Japan. Japanese authorities are, however, still denying its existence, and the Japanese scientist who discovered it is believed to have committed suicide after his name was leaked to affected farmers.

2 Likes

None of the pictures of bark and trunk look like mine,at least to me. They look more burnt mine looks like a mold.

Does this mean the fireblight is inside these sections of branches and truncks and should be removed?
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Probably 80% of the tree looks fine but the majority of large branches have these black streaks. The inside of bark looks fine.

Im thinking my best action at this point is to remove the whole top to the trunk and graft some resistant varieties to it.

I don’t see any reason to take such a drastic action, its a pretty well established tree. Bark looks fine to me honestly, aside from the obvious strikes on the small branches. I would just remove the obvious strikes + 6 inches.

2 Likes

Wait to try the fruit first whether or not the tree is worth keeping.

Don’t forget, most Euro pears need some chilling to ripen probably. Not many can be eaten right from the tree.

1 Like