If the water is still standing this Friday morning (i.e. 4 days in saturated soil) I’d be concerned about the health of the tree roots. Further, I’d be very concerned about the nature of the planting holes in general.
First time this has happened…thought we took care of this by digging big ruts In between the rows of the trees so they would sit higher… well ruts are full and have water has encased some of the trees. Came home from work on Friday to standing water it had drained when I checked Saturday morning. Sunday we had HUGE amounts of rain …ruts filled back up and over and remained that way all day (Rain non stop all day)…as of now the water has drained but is holding a lot of water and we are to have more rain today so was just thinking the new trees may need to come out until things dry up a bit? or just pull back all mulch and let them dry out. After Tuesday we look good for no rain for a while.
Here too we are getting a lot of rain, It’s not drainage as much as it is the fact it won’t stop raining. I’m worried about plants leaving dormancy too, or at least losing hardiness.
A few more days of fairly warm weather to make it through.
Elevation of your planting (berms) is always a good idea. But back East here, the soil can stay saturated for months, and plants pull through fine. Citation will probably be fine. If it were Mahaleb, I might be worried.
You’ve got to get out there and build some quick-and-dirty mounds. Then dig up the trees in standing water and immediately replant them in the mounded native soil.
How badly do you want those trees to live? The clock is ticking. Roots need to oxygenate periodically or they will literally drown. Don’t forget to wear your booties! We’ll expect a full report. Ready, set, go!
Gee Matt I’m not sure I agree with that advice. Citation is tolerant of wet feet. It’s cold and the roots aren’t growing. They can take wet much better now than in summer.
If the trees need to be dug up don’t throw them back in mud, mounded or not. Wait to replant until the soil dries out. Working wet soil ruins the soil structure and it runs together like muck. That’s just making the matter worse when or if it rains again.
No one can be sure what’s the best thing to do. The trees might be safer pulled out if they can be removed without damage. If removed then I’d wait until it dries out to build higher mounds. Meanwhile the trees could be held in pots.
Soil drainage is key. It would be nearly impossible to drown trees in my soil. But if the water just sets there they will drown at some point.
Dug a little trench to detour some water…raked away some mulch and let the wind and warm weather do the rest. So thankful for the break in rain. Hopeful everything will survive. Thank you everyone for your help.