Nikita's Gift Persimmon Fruit Drop?

Your pic looks like what I am seeing on my persimmons trees.

Morris Burton all dropped, 2nd year in a row. Most Prok dropped. Many NG are dropping so I am not sure how many, if many, will be left on the tree.

@PharmerDrewee , Kassandra went from 10 fruit to 2 but I believe will all drop. So will JT-02.

1 Like

Are you feeding your trees any fertilizer? I’ve heard that persimmon can be very sensitive when given nitrogen.

No. Heard that 3-4 years ago and has not fertilized it since. I have concluded that the tree needs to be more mature and that having male persimmon flowers to cross pollinate these female will help the fruit hang on much better.

Yes, so many persimmons drop that I’ve been surprised when some stay on on relatively new trees. I had 2 persimmons ripen on a Jiro, while it was still in the pot from JFaE (received in spring and didn’t get a chance to plant it until next spring). This year, I’ve got a Tam Kam tree which I planted last year and is only 4’ tall which still has several fruit. There are also IKKJ, Jiro, other Tam Kam, and Chinebuli with fruit hanging, so maybe I’ll get to try a few more non-astringent varieties this year. The Jiro last year were great- far better IMO than the astringents. 17 brix, crisp, good flavor. Of course, now that I’ve said this, they will probably drop off in the next week or two…

1 Like

Bob,
Late dropping is not uncommon for my persimmon trees. I am not confident until they are turning color during their ripening stage.

Even ripened Nikita p, a few still had a tad of astringency in them. I am going to look into planting tasty non astringent varieties in pots. Please post your comments on non-astringent varieties you enjoy. Thanks.

Mine usually start with thousands of fruit and self thin down to 1-3 fruit per branch.

@mamuang Why not try grafting a few branches with non astringent to see how they do. Never know they might make it.

Hi I all, sorry I haven’t been on in a while. I tore a disc in my back so I’m taking it easy this year. Plus, I ran out of space to plant. Anyway, my persimmon trees are experiencing June drop. My NG yield looks pretty good- thousands of flowers but I guess 200 will set. One thing to be aware of- heavy pruning hurts yields- my Kasandra and Zima Khurma are still recovering from heavy pruning two falls ago.
Sestronka is wonderful fruit, but yield is low despite very little pruning.

2 Likes

They won’t survived our cold weather. Even Nikita’s Gift is iffy.

Holding on to the fruit so far.

9 Likes

Congrats esp. for your first year’s success. Mine hold on to more fruit this year but the first 3 years were very disappointing.

1 Like

It appears that yours is old enough to hold onto fruit. My two NGs are loaded this year. It has been a dry summer so far in NJ and my opinion is that it helps hold onto fruit.

4 Likes

Beautiful, congratulations on your fruit. Mine set a few flowers last year, but didn’t ripen fruit. A few more this year.

1 Like

Interesting. Most of my Prairie Star persimmons dropped last summer. I assumed it was the severe heat and perhaps insufficient water. I hadn’t heard before that dry should be better for holding fruit. But maybe it is relative. We have a Mediterranean climate with very dry summers here.

It’s just my observation, but I tend to notice more fruit drop after it rains. For that reason, I never water mine. I notice that my persimmon trees don’t need any watering once established.

I notice the same thing with my persimmons. I always found some dropped fruit after a big rain storm. They don’t seem to need any additional watering after the first year across the river here in PA. However, it’s still a decent amount of rain most years. Practically all my trees have some fruit this year.

2 Likes

My H118/prairie star fruited well 2 years ago but dropped all flowers last year. It is doing the same this year. I am going to give it another year brcause the fruit quality was very good 2 years ago.

1 Like

We’ve had very little rain lately. Grass is drying up fast. I didn’t water the persimmon tree at all.

How old is your tree?

I think you said you grafted NG on it last year, right?

Mine dropped almost all last year too ramv, I think that was from the 115 degree weather. This year it looks to be setting well, but its probably too early to tell.

The tree is 4 years old and I believe the graft is 3 years old. First 2 years I fertilized it. But didn’t fertilize last year or this year.

1 Like