No luck with plums

My black knot problems are primarily on Methley, which gets only moderate shade. My Italian prune, very badly shaded, only gets it on a couple of twigs a year.

I’ve posted here several times that Methely is the black-knot-Mary of plums. Sometimes it needs to be removed just to slow down infection on nearby trees- I’m beginning to believe that Ruby Queen may be resistant.

I was surprised to see curc bites at the beginning of shuck split. Daytime temps ranged upper 60’s-70’s and night was upper 40’s to 50’s. I thought I could hold off until majority of shuck split or a heatwave.

Did you see a lot of bites? I never had many at all before shuck split, usually its not til the shucks drop that they get to work. Every orchard is different though, my curcs might be on my apricots when yours have nothing else to do but pester your tiny plums.

There’s not much left of mine

I would definitely sacrifice all the J plums if it would save the prune plums

I read on the label of Indar that it works against black knot, so I’ve been spraying for it in the spring, after the copper. There were a couple of knots in April, haven’t seen new yet

That was my experience in the past, but this year they started biting when first shucks split but were still attached. I’ve never seen them that early. Maybe the eggs are duds though. In any case, I’ve got under control now and the majority of fruitlets are clean still.

1 Like

A lot of feeding goes on at night- doesn’t it?