No Spray Apple List

As @mamuang mentioned above (another highly respect forum member :grinning:) there is no such thing as a no-spray apple in MA. Well, there is, but it means some really sickly looking trees (scab CAR etc) and lots of gnarled apples (curculio) filled with worms (codling moth). Or it means getting really lucky. It also can take several years before the pests find the trees so it can look good for a few years and then WHAM.

By the way here is my current list of relatively bulletproof apples for me. I find fruit rots to be a big problem so many of these are ones which are not going to rot in the heat. I have lots of stuff rotting now, we are in a long stretch of highs in the 90s.

1) Hunge
2) Blenheim Orange
3) GoldRush
4) Fuji
5) Reine des Reinettes
6) Yates
7) Pristine
8) Limbertwigs
9) Rambour d’Hiver
9 Likes

This will be year 3 of Hunge production on several grafts. Hope the taste (meh mixed with blah) improves a lot or I’ll graft over. Waiting eagerly to see what apples, if any, resist the new Leaf Blotch fungus. Lanternfly has reached two counties north of me (on grapevines), so it’s on its way south.

1 Like

I expect it is not going to improve for you, it is an odd taste. Blenheim Orange is in a similar category of taste that probably most people won’t like a lot. It is mainly a cooker in any case. All the other ones taste standard-apple-good, but Rambour d’Hiver is more of a cooker as well I would say.

I saw my first lanternfly nymph this year so they are in my orchard now. No appreciable damage found yet though.

1 Like

Far from ripe. Likely. Despite the watercore.j

Hope Pomgranny sorts it out correctly.

2 Likes

For reference for anyone who might have been wondering, this is the turnpike apple, August 25th 2021. Fruit was pretty large, good acid but also pretty sweet (not a spitter by any means)…

6 Likes

With due respect to Scott and Mamuang, I’d like to differ at least a bit. Partly this is based on our own trees, many of which are five or six years old and have yet to be sprayed. The leaves do look a little raggedy by the end of the growing season, but I’d call them closer to mostly ok than really sickly. They have also started to produce fruit, most of which has been sound when I’ve been able to beat the squirrels and birds to it. That being said, I concede that it’s early days yet for our trees and things could certainly change.

What I find more persuasive, at least for myself, is the entirely untended apple trees that I see around where we live. Like our own trees, they may look a little ragged as things wind down, but they seem to be healthy enough overall. Some of them have pretty clearly been growing for decades, and some of them bear a good amount of fruit that I’ve found to be sound in spite of the tree being left completely to its own devices.

I wrote about one such tree a few years back in this post: Which apples do you have ripening now? - #78 by JinMA

1 Like

@JinMA , this type of discussion always makes me wonder if I’m doing more harm than good. I lived in Manakin-sabot for about 20 years. It’s a small community west of Richmond. When we bought that property, we inherited a moderately sized peach tree and a very large apple tree.

The peach tree was always loaded with yellow peaches. They were real beauties, no disease, and so prolific that I would prop up three or four branches due to the fruit load. So many peaches they could not be harvested, processed, or frozen quick enough before spoiling, no matter how hard I worked.

The apples were about medium sized and red with a touch of green, nicely sweet tart, and were ready for harvest about the time the kids would go back to school. Not real lookers, but not bad either. Very little pests or diseases. I could make applesauce till the cows came home.

I did nothing, absolutely nothing in terms of spraying, thinning, or pruning. I didn’t realize back then how rare that was. Now I work in the orchard all day long. True it’s a labor of love and I enjoy it, but I don’t have a heck of a lot to show for it.

Am I comparing apples and oranges :thinking: or is this just the difference in 2 hours driving and good variety selection?

5 Likes

I think this is your answer!

I would love to cross a triploid with Wickson and another redflesh Apple!

4 Likes

First year I’ve got a decent crop of Redfields hanging and they are currently getting destroyed by codling moth. Similar to Liberty in my yard, but the liberty are doing much better bagged this year. I’m considering top working one of my two redfield over to Otterson next year. Anyone had better luck with Otterson and bugs? Trying to keep that tree a red fleshed cider variety.

I gave a seedling apple to my neighbor. It came from a flower bed, along with a couple others.

I am finally going to speculate that it is offspring of a store-bought RED DELICIOUS, pollinated by Golden Hornet.

I’m bringing this up, because the fruits are very nice, getting ripe, golf ball or bigger in size, annd the limb structure looks like Starkrimson, and the fruits are yellow, certainly edible though small,
but it’s the foliage that is so impressive. Dark pretty green, when many trees are nearly NUDE from scab, rust, mildew, etc, etc. Not a blemish on this tree. AMAZING.
Not sprayed. Other apples 100 to 1000 feet away. About 8 years old seedling tree, third crop.

4 Likes

Williams Pride has done well for me with no spray so far. Apples are not perfect, but fair. Liberty apples are eaten up, mostly unusable. I’m just a little north of St. Louis, Z 6a.

I’m wondering if having Liberty actually helps the other varieties. You know, the insects all run to Liberty and leave everything else alone. I’ve been debating on grafting mine over to something else.

1 Like

Do any of the apples have knobs or lobes at the bottom like red delicious?

2 Likes

Not nearly as ‘prominent’ or ‘pronounced’ in my specimen in comparison to your picture above. But, enough of 5 points are distinct that I don’t see why it can’t be a RD offspring.

Tasty, somewhat sweet, and mealy as it gets dead ripe…a week before ripe, has crunch like a Chinese pear almost, and flavor to match. (Actually flavor before ripe reminds of Kieffer pear,too.)

Rank Name 1. Apple Scab 2. Fire Blight 3. Powdery Mildew 4. Cedar Rust
1 Galarina Very Resistant Very Resistant Very Resistant Very Resistant
2 Novamac Very Resistant Very Resistant Very Resistant Very Resistant
3 Sundance Immune Very Resistant Resistant Very Resistant
4 Liberty Immune Resistant Resistant Immune
5 William’s Pride Immune Resistant Resistant Very Resistant
6 Freedom Very Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
7 Cordera Very Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
8 RubyRush Very Resistant Resistant Unknown Resistant
9 WineCrisp Immune Resistant Resistant Susceptible
10 Florina Querina Very Resistant Resistant Resistant Highly Susceptible
18 Enterprise Immune Resistant Moderate Resistance Resistant
14 Dayton Immune Resistant Moderate Resistance Moderate Resistance
11 Goldrush Immune Moderate Resistance Resistant Susceptible
13 Pristine Immune Moderate Resistance Resistant Susceptible
12 Priscilla Very Resistant Moderate Resistance Resistant Resistant
15 Crimson Crisp Immune Moderate Resistance Moderate Susceptibility Moderate Susceptibility
16 Redfree Immune Moderate Resistance Moderate Resistance Very Resistant
17 Nova Easygrow Very Resistant Moderate Resistance Resistant Resistant
19 Jonafree Immune Moderate Susceptibility Resistant Susceptible
20 Pixie Crunch Immune Resistant Susceptible Susceptible
21 Scarlett O’Hara Immune Susceptible Resistant Resistant
22 Kerr Resistant Very Resistant Resistant Very Resistant
23 Nova Spy Resistant Very Resistant Moderate Resistance Susceptible
24 Spartan Resistant Resistant Resistant Unknown
25 Sansa Resistant Resistant Resistant Very Resistant
26 Chieftain Resistant Resistant Unknown Unknown
7 Likes
Rank Name 1. Apple Scab 2. Fire Blight 3. Powdery Mildew 4. Cedar Rust
1 Yates Very Resistant Very Resistant Very Resistant Very Resistant
2 Keener Seedling Very Resistant Very Resistant Very Resistant Very Resistant
3 Harrison Very Resistant Very Resistant Resistant Very Resistant
4 Franklin Cider Immune Very Resistant Unknown Immune
5 Bramley’s Seedling Very Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
6 Claygate Pearman Very Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
7 Redfield Very Resistant Resistant Unknown Unknown
8 Court Pendu Plat Very Resistant Moderate Resistance Very Resistant Resistant
9 Dabinett Resistant Very Resistant Resistant Resistant
10 Black Oxford Resistant Resistant Resistant Very Resistant
11 Hudson’s Golden Gem Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
12 Williams Favorite Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
13 Grimes Golden Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
14 Hubbardston Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
15 Gilpin Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
16 Campfield Resistant Resistant Resistant Resistant
17 Belle De Boskoop Resistant Resistant Unknown Unknown
18 Whitney Moderate Resistance Resistant Moderate Resistance Moderate Resistance
6 Likes

At least some sources indicate potential susceptibility to fireblight, but the follow have some resistance to other diseases:

Name 1. Apple Scab 2. Powdery Mildew 3. Cedar Rust
Wolf River Apple 3-8 Very Resistant Very Resistant Resistant
King David Apple 4-8 Resistant Resistant Resistant
Grimes Golden Apple 5-8 Resistant Resistant Resistant
Golden Russet American 4-7 Resistant Resistant Resistant
Ashmead’s Kernel 4-8 Resistant Resistant Resistant
Prima Apple (Co-op 2) 4-8 Resistant Resistant Resistant
Duchess of Oldenburg 3-8 Resistant Resistant Resistant
Pristine Apple (Coop 32) 5-8 Immune Resistant Unknown
Sir Prize (Co op 5) 5-7 Immune Resistant Susceptible
Dayton Apple (Co-op 21) 5-9 Immune Resistant Susceptible
York Imperial Apple 4-9 Resistant Resistant Susceptible
Bedan Cider Apple 5-8 Resistant Unknown Unknown
Porters Perfection Apple 5-7 Resistant Unknown Unknown
Jonafree Apple (Co-op 22) 3-7 Resistant Susceptible Resistant
Yellow Transparent 3-9 Resistant Susceptible Resistant
6 Likes

Where are these lists coming from?

1 Like

I conducted my own research consulting all of the online sources I could find.

7 Likes

Blue Hill Wildlife Nursery offers an apple tree find they have named “Big Ten” and have described its disease resistance as:

“… this tree is immaculate in a no-spray situation, with all major apple tree diseases heavily present within the immediate area.”

1 Like