Non gmo blackberry plants

I noticed a bunch of folks selling “NON GMO” Blackberry plants on a popular mail order site.

Seems indented to make customers think they are getting something special since their Blackberry plants are special and Non GMO.

Are average people really that dumb?

5 Likes

If you look on the tags at Home Depot and Lowes you will see NON GMO. Im surprised that they dont say Gluten Free.

I think we need to learn to graft blackberry plants… i honestly dont understand how or why…but it exists?

$80 for a 4 inch plant. Its on sale i think it was $99 before.

4 Likes

Never heard of grafting multiple blackberry varieties to a single root stock.

Can’t understand how if even works since the spent canes are cut to the ground each year

4 Likes

I guess you could pot up 3 plugs and get the roots all in a ball and claim that… i have no clue how anyone could graft a 4 inch plant i guess under a microscope?

back to GMO… it is going to happen eventually.

The way people are evolving and wanting thornless blackberries…the desire next will be seedless thornless blackberries i think.

Once they figure it all out then i think the whole industry will change.

1 Like

I’m all for GMO. All this stuff is marketing because people have come to see GMO as “scary”.

And how do you graft a blackberry? I mean it might work but it’s useless after a season.

Then again,fastgrowingtrees is shady as all get out.

4 Likes

Look how many people shop at Baker Creek for the “non GMO” seeds. They’re unaware of the license & contract it takes to sell & purchase GMO seed.

3 Likes

I like Baker Creek because they sell cool stuff, but like most of the seed catalogs, I just have to bite my tongue and ignore all the “non-GMO” advertising that they and other seed companies do.

3 Likes

Check out Johnny’s.

1 Like

All of my plants are Keto Friendly :grinning:

So officially: Non GMO, Gluten Free, No Sugar Added, Keto Friendly plants. I could tack on pollinator friendly and safe for birds as well.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say dumb, just un- or misinformed. It may seem obvious to us folks who spend a lot of time thinking about these things, but if you don’t know, you don’t know.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The quick reply is more suckers are born every minute.

2 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

Trees – shady. Lol. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

We have an account with Johnny’s and have bought a bunch of seed from them over the years.

They seem to be a notch above many other seed companies and sell a lot of stuff to market gardeners.

Only called them twice with questions but the person who attempted to answer my questions did not know as much as I expected. First question involved days to maturity on Pumpkins and second question involved a seeder for Pumpkins. .

1 Like