Non Traditional Rootstocks for Pears

Who says there aren’t dwarf rootstocks for pears? The first photo is a Russian pear I am testing called Memory of Anzin. It is grafted to cotoneaster (lucudis but I don’t think it matters what variety of cotoneaster). The tree is in full bloom and only about 3 ft. tall, and was grafted 3 years ago. From reports in Russia, this is a long term union and they have pear trees on cotoneaster that are over 60 years old and still producing.

The second photo is Bolshaya Russian pear on Smoky Saskatoon. These grafts last for about 10 years then eventually fail as the Saskatoon stock dies, and there goes your graft.

15 Likes

From my understanding a standard apple or standard pear rootstock can last over 200 years though. I actually find it harder to get standard rootstock grafted pears than semi dwarf rootstock. I find a lot of pears are grafted onto OHxF 333 and OHxF 87. Those are not hard to come by. Meanwhile standard rootstock seems to be relegated to edible landscaping and Stark Bros in my experience so far. Stark Bros is super resistant to release rootstock information so we have no idea what their standard rootstock is though. The super dwarfing rootstocks of quince seem to be super rare as well but that is due to their questionable hardiness. I have not seen or heard of coloneaster though.

1 Like

@Bernie

Good to see you posting again with a couple of more russian pears. Hope things are good in Canada this year! Wishing you a good year for fruit!

1 Like

I am considering grafting saskatoon to a Callery rootstock. Good to know it may be viable the other way around.

1 Like

I’ve got one pear(Mooers or Hoskins) on cockspur hawthorn (C.crus-galli)… one of two that I grafted (just playing around) back in 2001… so, 22 years ago… made a columnar tree that is now about 9 ft tall… not sure it has ever produced a pear… but it is crowded in a thicket of ungrafted hawthorn, a couple of mayhaws on hawthorn, and encroaching Chickasaw plums.
The other pear-on-hawthorn (Ubileen) was about 4 ft tall when it was removed about 5 years after grafting, when my wife was installing a tennis court. Growing slowly, but healthily.

1 Like