Nourse Farm - Good Guys or Bad Guys?

I have ordered berries in the past from Nourse Farms. I have always received excellent quality plants from them. I have also seen good reviews for them in this forum.

However, my recent order was for 5 Double Gold and 5 Prime Ark Freedom. They sent me very nice bare root Double Golds as expected. but instead of sending me PAF bare roots they switched me up with plugs! Like the tiny tray of strawberry plugs you get in nurseries in spring! I was shocked and called them immediately telling them have sent the wrong item but I was told these plugs will grow and perform exactly same as the bare roots. I somehow don’t believe them. Is this true - how can the plugs with tiny roots perform same as bare roots - they are at least 1 year behind?

Did anyone else have this issue with your order this year? What do I do now?

1 Like

i got some PAF 3 yrs. ago from nourse and thats what they sent me also. trust me, they will grow very fast. PAF is the most vigorous cane fruit I’ve ever grown. i just got some nelson blackberry starts from fedco. they came as plugs as well. plant them in well drained soil with some compost and stand back! good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks Steve! I’ll go ahead and plant the plugs. Hope they grow well!

2 Likes

they will. keep them well watered the 1st year. :wink:

2 Likes

Nourse farms has the best plants. IMO.
The " plugs " are likely from tissue culture., and may be tender in full sun, a little shade for a week and keep watered well until they get established, have had tissue cultured plants get a little crispy the fist week or so.
Have had real good luck with their plants

4 Likes

I don’t like plugs but understand it is practical. I just got a raspberry plug. As stated not just PAF but most rubus species do well, even root cuttings from them can turn into plants!
I also got a currant plug, Red Flowered currant. Mostly to highlight a hedge corner. I like ribes plants too. Just as vigorous and strong as the rubus species plants. Exceptions to every rule. Ground cover raspberries can be hard to establish. Thimble berries can be difficult here too. Working on some and they made it through the winter, so that’s cool. I like to add a new rubus or ribes plant each year. I want to try the Swamp currant next year.

4 Likes

my arctics were slow to establish too but once they get going they spread like crazy. i over amended their bed so i haven’t got fruit yet but they have spread 3ft. from where i planted them 2 yrs ago. you get any fruit from yours?

2 Likes

No fruit yet, and still small. I may have to move them too. Good to hear they are doing well, they may need time to mature before fruit. These are supposed to fruit a lot more than native raspberry ground covers, as these are hybrids. We will see…

2 Likes

I still feel a little bait and switch with my order… but will give them the benefit of doubt as Ive received excellent plants from them in the past that have done really well!

I’ve put one Double Gold bare root and one PAF plug right next to each other . Same soil, same pots. Lets see how they look by end of the year.

3 Likes

Great guys! I have never had a bad, disturbed or mutilated plant from Norse. They are simply the Best!!!

6 Likes

got a pink blueberry from a boxstore no more than a single skinny, tiny twig in the dirt with no leaves a couple years ago. it’s a giant bush covered in flowers now. nourse being a legit nursery, no doubt it will grow fast.

2 Likes

I have an order I’m waiting for from them and have asked for it to shipped after April 29th. So far I’ve called them twice to add to my order and it’s been an excellent and very quick experience. Will report back once I receive my order. But so far, 5 stars.

@Girly

Nourse is a reputable nursery in my experience. Like you, i cringe when i see plugs because they require extra care. I am confident in their products.

2 Likes

My first experience with Nourse and plugs.

Everything well packaged.

Scheduled to ship the week of the 22nd arrived on the 23rd.

Here is what to expect for plugs of thornless black raspberries.

Also ordered asparagus, looked like one would expect dormant roots to look.

3 Likes

Excellent!

1 Like

Nourse products are good, although I don’t like their additional charges for pythosanitary certificate. Their asparagus roots are the most robust I have ever come across.

1 Like

You will be fine. I have gotten the best stuff from Nourse, Raintree, Fourwinds (not in any particular order) and have never failed.

1 Like