Offering Tulip tree seeds ornamental with pictures

Pretty tree large tulip like flowers in the magoliacea Family Native to USA huge trees

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=a878

Seed pods look like pine cones a little random photo

4 Likes

Very pretty!

Tulip Poplar. One of two ā€˜state treesā€™ of Kentucky.

And Tennessee as wellā€¦ Tulip Poplar and Eastern Red Cedarā€¦ Cedar, really?

Indianaā€™s state tree as well.
For a time, Kentucky Coffeetree, Gymnocladus dioicus, was the KY State Tree, but then it was relegated to State Heritage Tree.
Was invited to speak to my sonā€™s third grade class about trees, 20 years agoā€¦big pull-down Scholastic map of KY at front of the classroom had pictures of state flower, fish, etc., including ā€˜tulip treeā€™, with a picture of Magnolia x soulangeana. Fail.

1 Like

Beautiful trees that grow relatively fast. I have one that is about 15 years old that is about 60 feet tall and about 10" dbh. I transplanted it, as a 6ā€™ tall tree, from my grand fathers home before he passed.
Pollenators love these trees. Great honey producer!

1 Like

We had one on property line corner when I was a kid. It was about 100 to 125 feet from the house.
Mom worried it would fall on the house in a windstorm.
I measured the tree by the triangulation method to be 120 feet tall in the late 1960ā€™sā€¦and so far as I know it is still standing. Havenā€™t been there in 20 years, but I suppose it could be found on Google Earth.

1 Like

I planted one of these in my parents yard when I was in 4th grade and it is still there. It is the first plant I probably took care of and since it lived it gave me a love to grow things. We received them for Arbor Day from the forestry department at school. Love that tree!

1 Like

Looks like the roots can be used for a Lemon like tea drink on pfaf.
I will have to see can also be used as wood, and a Yellow dye as well

Liriodendron tulipifera
https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Liriodendron+tulipifera

I quote
A condiment
The root is used as a lemon-like flavouring in spruce beer, where it also serves to correct the bitterness of the beer[2]. The bark of the root and branches have a pleasant rather pungent scent[11].

The intensely acrid bitter inner bark, especially of the roots, is used domestically as a diuretic, tonic and stimulant[82, 213]. The raw green bark is also chewed as an aphrodisiac[222, 257]. The bark contains ā€˜tulipiferineā€™, which is said to exert powerful effects on the heart and nervous system[46, 61, 213]. A tea is used in the treatment of indigestion, dysentery, rheumatism, coughs, fevers etc[222, 257]. Externally, the tea is used as a wash and a poultice on wounds and boils[257]. The root bark and the seeds have both been used to expel worms from the body[213, 257].

This tree is block away down the alley in Aurora A Population 200,000 ,
but is spread out.
I used to walk a mile to My best Friends house Since first Grade,
and look at the flowers of this tree , but I also like the shape of itā€™s leaves
Bold, Squarish, but also Feminine curved around the tips of the leaves to a point ā€¦
I have grown out a number of seeds they seem pretty easy 100ā€™s sprouting ,
but never saw them aggressive spreaders where the tree is
(invasive they are native ), but I cannot say for every whereā€¦

If not on the property
May be a nice place where a Young Child,
and you could bond with growing in a forest park as they grow up of age together
I have almost mistaken this in parks for Sassafras actually have before , and dug up.

will report back if I can make some tea from a young tree
(but not of the old tree , since it is behind a fence close to the alley )

I also do enjoy Gingko , and love that tea good for the brain , male health
and helps with blood flow make a gallon of it in a 3 gallon stock pot , have some seeedlings, and plan to get more seeds this fall (female fruit does smell of butric acid or vomit though, but not male treeā€™s , the nuts however can be eaten, but too many can be reduce Vitamin b in you body ā€¦

I have a unknown tree you see, but I may keep itā€™s name a secret
a secret because do not want the Nurseries to steal , my discoveries ,
it is however used as a Juniper like flavor in itā€™s berries ,(I would believe)
and has a numbing effect. it is native as well (web sites say it has no flavor.)

Iā€™ve not had any poplar honey in a long time. Many folks want very light/clear honey which to my taste is ā€œharshā€. Darker colored poplar honey is much better IMOā€¦

2 Likes

Not many kinds of honey I donā€™t likeā€¦but dandelion, peach, redbud, creeping charlie do come to mind!

I remember getting some dandelion honey at a farmers market years ago. It smelled like dirty socks, but I loved it. Chestnut honey is one I donā€™t like. Iā€™m not really a fan of the very expensive New Zealand manuka honey either. I really love another of New Zealandā€™s unique (I believe, but I could be wrong) honey plants, pohutukawa, which is also a fabulous ornamental tree, not just in bloom, but also in form as a large, wind-swept tree that grows along New Zealandā€™s coast. Has anyone ever seen pohutukawas planted as an ornamental in California?

And speaking of chestnuts (although European chestnut is the honey I was referring to and I donā€™t know if American chestnut was even a honey plant) and tulip-poplar, hereā€™s a trendy use for tulip-poplar, especially in the mountains near me:

1 Like

Yeah have seen that on a few homes. Poplar bark peels very easily and is popular as a siding.