OFM in peaches.....Current consensus?

Folks:
I need a quick update from the collective wisdom on how to handle Oriental Fruit Month…I’m seeing the “flagging”, wilting shoot ends on all six of my trees.

Is the current thought on treatment to:

  1. remove the infected ends
  2. use Triazicide Once and Done (by Spectracide) ? (spraying the tips)

Thanks.

1 Like
  1. Ignore it.

Peach twig borer causes the same damage east of the Mississippi. I view it as a free summer pruning. Damage is about one tip in ten. If it were a lot worse I’d have another viewpoint.

3 Likes

I wish I hadn’t cut all my tips. I couldn’t seem to get spinosad timing right and gave up and just resorted to cutting all the tips on my nectarines. I had just constant reinfection and flagging of tips. I think between August and the beginning of September I cut every tip three or four times and now one of my nectarines is just exploded with growth and needs to be seriously hacked at this winter and gotten back on track for a small tree next summer solstice.

Plum curculio has 2 generations where I am. The most damage is the first generation right at petal fall.

In my yard, OFM has 4-5 generations and often starts causing damage about a week after PC hit. In spraying timing is everything. You can spray the right stuff at the wrong time and see a lot of damage. People set up traps to figure out when those baddies arrive. Your local extension service may send out notice to members if you join them.