Oh NO.. Gerardi demolished

Well… it happened today… pop up thunderstorm with wind gust early on. Demolished my Gerardi (bark graft last year).

Yes… i knew this was a possibility… it had not completely healed the graft union area.

It had grown and put on a bunch of growth this year… huge mulberry leaves catching all that wind.

Not all is lost… perhaps i can bring it back again. It was still producing berries… over a month now.

In hindsight… perhaps i should have late spring and early summer pruned it to remove some of that tall bushy growth.

Good news… all my tall persimmon and pear grafts from this year are ok.

14 Likes

Oh jeez. Sorry to see that.

1 Like

I can see now that bark grafts to larger rootstocks… can be problematic. It can take a couple years or more for complete healing over that larger area… and until it heals over good… this is sure possible.

If i had pruned a lot of that growth off… think it would have been ok.

Live and learn.

5 Likes

I leave mine staked for multiple years… but part of that is laziness :slight_smile:

3 Likes

stick the whole thing in a 5 gallon bucket of mud and keep it mud all summer. I would not be supprised if it took root.

4 Likes

Girardi was my first tree when I first started gardening. I remember getting it from Whitman Farms and thinking 40 something dollars was a lot back then. Mine got demolished overnight as well. It had a Y shape and overnight half of it was gone. It would have been a heavy producer though as it was producing the year after I bought it. My Pakistan mulberry did not produce but my Illinois Everbearing is doing the same.

1 Like

Oh no, so sorry :frowning:

1 Like

I lost one of 3 Gerardi bushes when a woodchuck climbed it to strip leaves. The weight was too much and it broke at the graft.

I also lost a large Illinois Everbearing in a windstorm when the tree split down the middle.

Since these and other losses, I try to stake at least the trunk. I can tolerate losing a branch. I hate losing an entire tree.

4 Likes

ouch. thanks for sharing when i bark graft i’ll be sure to try to remember to stake them

3 Likes

I stuck some T-buds of Silk Hope on a large potted seedling last week. If you’ve got any smaller mulberries, you could ‘park’ some mature buds to force next spring.

Winds split out 2 of 3 main trunks of a Mullahy pecan here in the yard, about 15 ft up. No other damage to fruit/ nut trees…another black locust down in the hayfield and at least a couple more big oaks down in the woods.

1 Like

Sorry to see this Trev! I had a similar storm event on one of my most productive plum limbs this summer. I feel the pain you suffered! I now stake a lot more thru several years of healing. Take care
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

One stem might be the best option long term anyway… Maybe throw a t-post beside it and support the remaining limb?

5 Likes

Ryan. That is exactly what I would do also. Pull it a little to straighten and it will grow well.

4 Likes

that sucks! same thing happened to my Juliet cherry yesterday due to heavy rain and heavy fruit load. the 1 branch that’s left is way off balance so i tied it to a t post. lost half the crop. i wish my bush cherries would grow as bushes. lost the other 2 branches off the same tree due to snow damage.

3 Likes

That sounds like a good plan to me. I will do that.

Thanks

1 Like

Man that really stinks. Sorry.

I’d definitely chop some up and try to root it. Down here they take great this time of year. I’ve been meaning to prune some of mine and root. Good luck.

1 Like

It’s the same thing if a person tops a shade tree…the limbs that
come back quick are never going to be anchored like the original limbs.

2 Likes

sheesh. yeah, wind really catches those big leaves. Ive noticed gerardi is extra brittle, too. Ill bet that remaining trunk will take right off anyway once you stake it

3 Likes

Sorry this happened… Not trying to rub salt in your wound, but a tall bamboo stake and some cotton twine would have saved it. We all have our dissapointments… I have nurtured a dragon fruit vine in my greenhouse for several years and decided to plant it outside… Its growing great and even had a flower bud forming… when I walked by and just touched the bud, the whole thing fell off… So, again, sorry it happened.

1 Like

I mentioned above that groundhogs like to strip the leaves off my mulberries – and they will climb a tree to do it! Well, just in the past week or so, I’ve had damage to leaves and branches on my two remaining Gerardi trees. These are located INSIDE a 6’ fence that deer don’t bother to jump.

Meanwhile, I located a Hav-a-hart trap at a corner of the fence roughly 15’ away, baited with corn. Within this same week, I’ve caught four groundhogs – two within an hour or so of each other. I’m sure that basically I nabbed them in the act (or immediately after).

1 Like