One Green World rootstock

Just a heads up, if you order peach rootstock from them they are pretty small. I’m not sure what to even do with these.

1 Like

You’ll have to wait years to use it, I received 2 pear rootstocks from Cummins Nursery March 2018, they are still too thin to use this year. Yet this year they clearly will grow a lot.

1 Like

That’s pretty thin. I struggle with peaches and grafting any way. Last year non of the thin scion I had took. I was grafting onto a rootstock as big as my finger . Those rootstock look like they need planted and grown for a year to me

1 Like

OGW has not been a particularly great performer for me–experiences can and do vary but to me I am paying Raintree prices for half their selection and size-wise paying more to get the same stuff as Burnt Ridge’s products, as it were.

Being cheap then, I usually buy from burnt ridge, but if not I’d go Raintree (from my experience) or branch out to cummins, ACN, or some other site mentioned here. OGW just doesn’t seem to offer much of any particular advantages in my (LIMITED) experience with them :frowning:

1 Like

I’ll probably plant them and graft them next spring. I didn’t even know a peach seedling could be so puny, they are always super vigorous when I grow my own.

2 Likes

I think I’m leaning towards your way of thinking. I only ordered from them because I wanted a few rootstocks and they were the only ones offering Lovell. From now on I’ll grow my own or order from another outlet.

Here are a few places that sell Lovell rootstock

https://baylaurelnursery.com/rootstock-descriptions.html

1 Like

I did several apples smaller than that Monday.

I will probably bud them this summer, I just felt like for $57 I got swindled.

2 Likes

I emailed them and this is how it goes.

Hey guys I just received my first order from you all and I’m a little underwhelmed. The packaging was great, and it was shipped at the appropriate time and made it to its destination in a timely manner, but the size of your stock is pretty puny. Normally when someone orders rootstock they want it around the size of the scion they are grafting (at least pencil thickness), and yours was more like match stick thickness.
I belong to a pretty prominent fruit forum, so I asked them if anyone else had a similar experience, and it seems to be normal for all rootstock from you guys to need to be grown on for a year before grafting. It might really help growers if you list average diameter in your product description so that they aren’t shocked when they open the box.
Thanks for listening to me, and please consider my suggestion to add the diameter to the description, Roy

And here is their reply
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the email. There’s a bunch of factors that go into what rootstock sizes we’re able to provide, usually based on what’s available from the farms we buy them from and there’s always some variability as to what size is expected and what actually becomes available. But the smaller calipers are actually preferred by many growers because it’s easier to find small diameter scion wood but more difficult to “size up” your scion to thicker rootstock and for beginning grafters the smaller rootstocks are often easier to work with, at least to a certain point. Too small and they become difficult to make a cut on.

It looks like by your photo you received some Lovell rootstock. That particular rootstock has been unavailable for us here in the Willamette Valley for a few years so we basically take what we can get when it comes to some of the harder to find rootstocks such as Lovell, bud 9, etc. If you were to purchase some of our more common rootstocks I think you’d find the size more to your liking, but of course everybody has their preference. And finally, given that we’re using much of the rootstock for use here at the nursery we select the sizes that we prefer to graft on to.

You’re right that we should list the sizes on our website so folks know what to expect but given the variation in a single batch of rootstock we’ve avoided listing sizes in the past as we might get dissatisfied customers if rootstocks are larger or smaller than listed.

I would certainly encourage grafting on to what you received and in the event that they don’t take you can always pot them up and graft on to a slightly larger caliper next year, but the take rates on those small caliper stocks are typically very high.

Sam Hubert

One Green World Landscape Design & Plant Care

One Green World
6469 SE 134th Ave
Portland, OR 97236

Cell: 503-318-9174
FAX: 1-800-418-9983
www.onegreenworld.com

It was nice of them to respond but I didn’t really feel like anything was resolved. I just felt like they tried to blow smoke up my butt and tell me this is the size other customers prefer. I probably won’t order from them again.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I wasn’t wanting my money back or anything for free. Acknowledgement of the problem and a good apology would have probably got me to try them at least one more time.

I’m getting cynical in my old age, and I would’ve read that kind of like you did to: here’s your stuff don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Glad I’m not the only grumpy old codger!

I just got some Bailey peach root stock from Grandpa’s Orchard and it is about the same size as yours. I’m pretty sure they had different size options and I chose the smaller, cheaper ones. I just checked their website, but they no longer have any peach root stock available at all.

Last year I ordered Lovell root stock from somewhere but the order ended up getting canceled due to non availability. It seems like peach root stock has been hard to find online in smaller quantities for a few years now.

1 Like

At least peach rootstock is cheap to grow and easy. From now on I will just make sure I grow a few pits a year.

1 Like

I’ve not had consistent success with peach grafting, particularly with very small scionwood. (grafted on existing trees and rootstock that planted in ground).

In fact, I’ve found that my very small scionwood (1/4 of a pencil size) grafts from last year that took and grew, shriveled and died this spring. Maybe, these grafts did not have enough stored energy to withstand New England’s harsh winter even after one growing season.

All I want to say is that if it were me, I would not graft on those roostocks this year. With apples or pears, I have about 100% success with scionwood tinier than that.

When I ordered OHxF 87 pear rootstocks a couple of years ago, I potted them up and grafted a few weeks later. All took but those were pears.

1 Like

These are normal sized rootstock for a nursery…these will be planted in the field and budded in late summer, by that time they will have grown to a decent size. I (and others) also use this size for container grown trees. They are very easy to graft and to be potted afterwards. Larger sizes are actually more difficult to graft…

2 Likes

I guess a lot depends on your hands and techniques, I certainly prefer thicker. I think they also tend to have much better root systems and overall nutrient reserves when there’s twice as much wood. And I don’t believe the OP was looking to bud…

I’m not nearly coordinated enough to try to graft these little buggers. That and my scion is 2-3x as big.

Hi mikatani, glad to get a more professional opinion than my own. Any chance you can tell me what graft you use when the scion is 3x bigger than the rootstock?