Ontario Fruit Growers

Wow! A good haul! I figured it would be crazy. Sounds like it might have been worth the trip. I was eyeing those $30 multigrated trees, quince and the hybrid chestnuts. And the cheap haskap and daylilies.
Oh well, probably just as well since we still don’t know if or when we’ll be moving. ( we’re selling first and nothing is moving here)

How was plum curculio damage for others this year? I don’t spray anything for them. Last year I lost 95% of my plums. This year more like 50% which means I still need to thin after cleaning up all the marked fruit… wondered if it was a lower pressure year for others?

I got PC bites on all my nectarines this was after they were larger than quarters. I have donut peaches and have not noticed bites on them. I seem to get more pressure from OFM based on what I am seeing inside my peaches. Gotta spray next year I think (this year I tried a spray of BTK). Are you spraying at all?

They were abundant here. I actually was able to squish one on a pear tree. The pears were bitten, but of course they don’t survive in them. ( and I don’t much care about the small marks left)
So far, the Italian plum is holding a ton of fruits but I don’t know if any will make it to ripening.
Only a few set on my lying freeloaders but it was more than usual. It looks like the third one planted to help them has had a bit of effect. Even with some set, I don’t think any will survive the pc.

I missed the dormancy spray window this year but it seems to be okay. Huge fruit #s on the sour cherry. I’m struggling to get it all picked and processed. Just a few bugs in them so far.

1 Like

I didn’t spray at all this spring. I usually do a dormant spray but this spring the weather and my schedule didn’t line up.
I am pretty sure I’m going to have more next year. A few fruit have hit the ground and been chewed through before I got them cleaned up.

1 Like

Hi Ontario Fruit Growers! I was wondering if anybody from here is growing Goumi berry and willing to propagate or have extra seeds to sell? Somehow this is almost impossible to find any Goumi plants for sale. Whiffletree don’t have any this year.

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone near me has seen plum curculio this year? Last year about half my plums got hit. I thinned anything with a bite and did my best to pick up the drops quickly… but i know some on the ground had holes where the grub had dug out.

One of my plums is loaded and needs to be thinned. I was waiting until after the curculio damage was done but i haven’t seen them yet. The fruit are bigger than a quarter so i was wondering if i somehow missed them this year?

I’m in zone 5 west of Toronto.

1 Like

I sprayed my stone fruit trees (peaches mostly) this year so it could be this but not a bite of PC at all that I have found. I have had more ofm in my area and none of that.

1 Like

PC pressure was moderately bad last year, but this year seems lighter to me. My plums and cherries are taking a year off though so that could be a possible reason. I am also very diligent about cleaning up and removing all infected fruit so maybe that helped. I did note last year that William’s Pride apple is a PC magnet, though this year my apples seem pretty clean so far.

1 Like

Hi there everyone! I am new to this group but have recently started my own food forest so I am looking for resources to help me out. I actually live in Nova Scotia and so there is no Canadian group for my geographic area but since I am 6b I figured it would work fine. We have a few growers of fruit trees and bushes here in NS and in the wider Maritimes but I don’t think I see them listed here.

3 Likes