Ontario zone 5 orchard plan

A friend offered me there opportunity to help plan a new backyard orchard.
They have room for about 20 trees.
I made a list of things I would plant in priority order. Some of this is based on my experience. Much is based on what I’ve read here.
I did not include grapes or kiwi because i doubt they want to build a trellis.
I’ve listed the type and variety plus my notes about growing.
Any feedback would be welcome:

1 Black Raspberry Jewel Any variety will be good. Trellis and prune to keep them under control. Canes are biannual.
2 Yellow Raspberry Anne Trellis and prune to keep them under control. Canes are biannual
3 Asian Pear Korean giant or New World KG is often noted online as best Asian pear. Not available at whiffletree or silvercreek last year so probably replace with New World which is a decendant. I like the idea of Asian pears. They are noted as fairly easy to grow and they are expensive in store. They are good off the tree.
4 European Pear Harrow Delight Harrow Diammond is apparently good tasting and good disease resistance. Pears are generally easier to grow than apples here. Euro Pears will crosspollinate with Asian pears.
5 Apple Gala If this is your favourite apple, grow it.
6 Apple Liberty Tastes like mac, really good disease resistance. I have one of these and it’s doing well.
7 Haskap Aurora Need 2 varieties to pollinate. I have this and it’s good. Haskap taste a bit like blueberries but are easier to grow here.
8 Haskap Indigo Gem Need 2 varieties to pollinate. I have this and it’s good. Haskap taste a bit like blueberries but are easier to grow here.
9 Red Raspberry Take your pick Trellis and prune to keep them under control. Canes are biannual
10 White or Pink Currant Any These will grow in a shady spot. Gooseberry Sawfly can be bad but that’s the only challenge I’ve had. Kids seem to like them.
11 Gooseberry Poormans These will grow in a shady spot. Gooseberry Sawfly can be bad but that’s the only challenge I’ve had. Kids seem to like them. Could replace with other variety.
12 Shrub Cherry Juliet or Romeo Shrub cherries are easier to grow than trees here. This variety is apparently between a sweet and sour cherry for taste. Protect from rabbits.
13 Apple Crimson Crisp gets very good taste reviews.
14 Mullberry Illinois everbearing I have a friend with a mullberry in Kitchener. They are a bit messy, but taste really good (like a raspberry) and have very few issues. Birds love them.
15 Plum (American Hybrid) South Dakota all stoneftuit are challenging because of black knot, plum curculio and other bugs… American plums are supposed to be the most disease resistant stone fruit but may be a pollination challenge. This variety is noted as a good pollinator. Alternatively: European plums offer a wide variety and can be self fertile.
16 Plum (American Hybrid) Purple Heart The description of this looks good to me. You need 2 for pollination. could substitue this with any American hybrid.
17 Asian Pear chojuro in Asian pear blog, this is one noted as good. could replace with another… i like the idea of Asian pears. they are noted as fairly easy to grow and they are expensive in store.
18 European Pear Bonne Louise de Jersey no real comment, could replace with any pear. note that Euro pears need to be picked before they are ripe or they will get mushy… but pears are generally considered reliably easy to grow.
19 Sweet Cherry Stella self fertile sweet cherry. Scott has this. tree does well. First fruit this year tasted good.
20 Sour Cherry Montmorency most popular sour cherry. apparently sour cherries are easier to grow than sweet.
21 Persimmon (American) Mohler bit of a gamble but you’ll never get one of these in a store because they don’t ship well. Shouldn’t have bug or disease problems. Cold hardieness may be a risk, but should be fine.
22 Pear European Green Gage Could replace with any Euro Plum that is self fertile. Plum Curculio, Black Knot, late frosts will probably all be challenges at some point.
23 Peach Harrow Diamond We are at the north end of Peach range. This variety is one of the most winter hardy and disease resistant. Bugs (esp Plum Curculio) and early frost will be a challenge. Could swap for Reliance which fruits mid-August
24 Apple Pink Pearl pink flesh, reputably good tasting, early apple.
25 Apple Chestnut crab apples help pollinate others and they are more reliable than regular apples. This one apparently tastes good.
26 Apple Nova EasyGrow really good disease resistance, similar to Cortland
27 Sour Shrub Cherry Carmine Jewel This shrub cherry seems to be very productive - sour, so mostly for cooking
28 Sweet Cherry Hedelfingen Needs another sweet cherry to pollinate. . . . could swap for several varieties or a sour cherry.
29 Apricot Take your pick We are at the north end of Appricot range. Bugs (esp Plum Curculio) and early frost will be a challenge.
30 European Pear Take your pick of Perry Pears want to make Perry? if so, get a Perry pear.
31 Apple spartan pink flowers, I like these in the store.
32 Apple Take your pick of Cider variety If you want to make cider, pick a cider apple.
33 Asian pear shinko Gets some good reviews online
3 Likes

It may be worth noting that my priorities were:
Relative ease of maintenance
Taste
Rare in stores
Spread the harvest season

its a good list. i have about half of those. the U of SK cherries are very easy to grow and in 5 yrs. have had no issues. had some cherries on juliet and romeo and found the flavor good to eat out of hand but i like tart acidic fruit. C.j hasn’t fruited yet for me. i plan to start a spray regimen for them next spring. i also have montmorency that is growing well but hasn’t fruited yet. is very vigorous. aurora is my favorite haskap but may i suggest honeybee over indigo gem. i have both and honeybee is a much bigger producer of bigger berries and flavor is better. also pollinates aurora. i have johnkeer van teets red currant that is a early summer bearer of good sized berries. fruits early enough to avoid swd and is WPBR immune. I’m thinking of trying illinois everbearing here but I’ve seen it rated as z5 hardy on some sites. might be a challenge to get it to survive here. good luck on your orchard.!

Thanks @moose71,
UoS cherries are actually something I’ve had bad luck with… not their fault but apparently they taste good too rabbits.
Thanks for the haskap tip , I’ll swap honeybee in as long as i can find them somewhere…i live near whiffletree so lean towards ordering what they have.

1 Like

yeah last year a moose gave 1 of mine a haircut. :wink: