Ooze from rooting saijo persimmon scion ID

First time seeing this and didn’t find anything in a search. 7 days ago I started to root a saijo persimmon scion. I coated all the scions I’m rooting in paraffin wax, the white coating seen. I’m hoping someone can tell what is come out of the end of the scion. The buds are swelling now and the other cultivars are now too, but nothing oozing like this one.

4 Likes

Welcome to GrowingFruit!

I’ve never read of success rooting D. virginiana or D. kaki persimmons. Perhaps you’ll be the first. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have 3 persimmon trees and I’ve also never seen one “ooze”. Welcome

1 Like

Persimmon can bleed at times… but that one is not on roots I guess.

1 Like

Persimmons sometimes produce resin as a part of wound response; I’ve seen this a number of times.

I hate to be discouraging—and I fully support experimentation, even when odds for success are unfavorable—but I agree that that is very unlikely to root. Could happen, but unlikely. I’ve heard anecdotes about American persimmon being easier (relatively speaking) to root from cuttings than kaki. If you’ve not already seen it, there’s a thread here about rooting persimmons from cuttings—including some member reports of initial success rooting D. lotus and D. virginiana:

Now, root cuttings would be a surer thing, but you’d have to have the variety you want already on its own roots—as in the case of a desirable seedling.

Anyway, I wish you much luck. You never know! (And we definitely want to hear about it if it roots!)

Persimmons are pretty easy to graft, by the way, when the weather is sufficiently warm and sap is flowing.

Welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

Didn’t know if it was some xylem flow or managing to respond to the wound.

I ordered a number of scions to graft to my DV seedlings, but my seedlings are a little small and the parts of the scions I’m trying to root are too large for them. Scions I got were good length too. Using some good old dip n grow on them and dumped the rest of the solution btwn 4 of the into the solo cups I’m using after having wet the soil. Using a “V” graft on the seedlings that are big enough and a couple of bud grafts for the larger scions.

The Rojo Brilliante looks happy for now.
Hachiya and Honan Red don’t have any activity yet.

I know persimmons are not likely to root, but have nothing to lose since they would have become compost otherwise. Will keep y’all updated with how my experience goes.

2 Likes

Best looking cutting is Honan Red. Had foliage that dead, looked like normal bud grow. It all fell off and now has this growth.

Hachiya is so, so. Looks like HR did. Didn’t scratch it yet, but did with my other 2 cuttings were toast.

HR looked like this a week ago.

1 Like

Maybe you got lucky on that one!

It’s too late for this year but it is no problem to graft a large scion on a small stock. Just get one side aligned well and you are off to the races.

1 Like

I did that with some bud grafts and they have taken. Just an experiment since I was unsure if it would work and scions are cheap in comparison to buying grafted trees.

Thanks for showing pics. If you do get roots, please share pictures of the roots. I’ve seen claims of rooting, but never actual roots. It would be very exciting.

In another thread, somebody posted a link to a study that showed some varieties could be rooted with effort.

1 Like

Will do. Giving it longer in the cup to see if I get any leaves that stay … hopefully roots at that point. I too have seen many YouTube videos claiming different things work but never any roots shown. Gone through a few thousand pages on here on persimmon discussions…kinda like the jujube propagation thats been kinda figured out. Even if the failure rate is high, only one success is needed for root propagation at that point.

1 Like

Just following up. All the green is finally gone and scion scratches brown everywhere. I see now callusing, so they failed completely. Have to wait until next year to try out some different methods

Not a surprise, but disappointing. Thanks for following up with the result.