Opal Apples

True that, Alan. I wonder how many of these Club apple varieties are self-fertile? I would think only those varieties would be ones that the hybridizers would be so strict as to say you can even plant seeds. Otherwise, if it is an apple cultivar that requires a cross-pollinator, all seeds would be a cross of the mother plant, and the pollen parent. So, who would care if you planted the seeds? Chances of getting something close and as good as the mother plant would be unlikely (without trialing a gazillion seedlings.) I think I just said the same thing you did, lol!

Iā€™m sorry, but that little phrase so caught my sense of whimsy ā€¦

Opal apple opal apple opalapplepie ā€¦

I canā€™t help myself- I have to go off and giggle a little.

:-)M

6 Likes

I found its patent number.

Hereā€™s a short description:
Apple tree named ā€˜UEB 3264/2ā€™
US PP15963 P2

" The present invention comprises a new and distinct cultivar of apple tree botanically classified as Malus Mill. and known by the varietal name ā€˜UEB 3264/2ā€™, also known as ā€˜Opalā€™ in the Czech Republic. The new variety was discovered in the fall of 1999 in The Czech Republic. The new variety is the result of a planned breeding program between unpatented female parent ā€˜Golden Deliciousā€™ and unpatented male parent ā€˜Topazā€™. ā€¦Flowers:
Bloom timing.ā€”Early to medium. May 5, but varies depending on location and year; 1-2 days before ā€˜Golden Deliciousā€™.
Blooming period.ā€”Medium.
Pollination requirements.ā€”Normal, good pollinators, similar to crab apple ā€˜Golden Hornetā€™ā€¦"

1 Like

To me, Opal is too sweet and the flavor is a bit odd. Iā€™ll eat it if thereā€™s nothing better around, and sometimes there isnā€™t anything better around. I like the new Ruby Frost variety a lot better than Opal.

1 Like

Is Pinata scion wood out there? In my opinion Pinata has similar attributes to Opalā€“banana/tropical fruit flavorā€“that is good for a graft with a few apples on it.

Here is the list of club apples that I know of:

Sweetango
Cosmic Crisp (WA 38) - only for WA growers
Envy
Smitten
Autumn Glory
Pinata
Pink Lady (Pink Lady name is still managed, but Crippsā€™ Pink has escaped)
Ambrosia
Rave (MN55) - have not seen it yet
Jazz
Ruby Frost
Snap Dragon
Evercrisp (open managed variety by MAIA)
Opal
Lady Alice
Pacific Rose

That list is getting long, and is somewhat worrisome for the small growers out there. I suppose it depends on the requirements on volume etc on contracts.

1 Like

I donā€™t sell apples so I donā€™t really have much to say about how these apples will impact small growers, but Iā€™ve eaten about 2/3 of these club apples and there are dozens of antique apples that I find to be much better. To me, even Arkansas Black, which is not generally rated with the great classic apples, is still better than anything Iā€™ve eaten on this list.

There are small Envy apples sometimes. I guess they only go to certain places.

1 Like

This year Iā€™ve found many more disappointing Opal apples than the last couple of years. Last week they were giving out samples at Costco, and they were past their prime. The texture was almost mealy.

I donā€™t think Honeycrisp was ever a club apple. It was patented, but the patent protection has expired.

Club apples are different than just patented, or even trademarked, they are grown under contract.

At least as of a few years ago, there was literally only one legal grower for Opal in the US. They all come from Washington state. For Opal, it is a club of one. But generally, club denotes the small group of growers who are legally contracted to grow it. Its kind of like a franchise. There is a thorough contractual relationship between the growers and the rights holder.

http://www.opalapples.com/about.aspx

Opal seems to get mealy very fast

That hasnā€™t been my experience before this year. Iā€™m guessing the ones youā€™ve had have already been going downhill.

Iā€™ve had that problem every year.

Alan,
I believe anyone who holds up progress for profit is looking out for their own best interests only. They may think opal is all that but in honesty it does not hold a candle to honeycrisps price or production. Literally comparing opal with even Fuji, gala, and especially pink lady I find it good but a second rate yellow apple. Pink lady aka crips pink is still far better than opal. I enjoy opal apples and there is some appeal because they are new but pretty soon they will find greed is holding the popularity of that apple back while sales of honeycrisp, Fuji, gala, and pink lady soar! Given choice of the two apples opal and pink lady I prefer pink lady myself and cripps pink I can grow.

1 Like

From orangepippin:
ā€œThe vast majority of apple varieties are self-infertile but there are a few exceptions such as Alkmene which are self-fertile - they do not require a pollination partner. However, fruiting and fruit quality is usually improved with a suitable partner.ā€

It seems unlikely club apples are an exception.

I have Pinata, i made 2 grafts of it last year on G30. One of which grew a ton so Iā€™ll have a decent 3-4 sticks of scion wood from. If you want some just let me know.

I also have Pinata, or actually a sport of it. I wasnā€™t sure what Pinata is until I checked online. In Europe itā€™s known as Pinova and widely available in stores but also quite common in the homegrowing circles.
In the last couple of years Pinova is getting replaced by the more colorful mutation named Evelina (thatā€™s the one I have)

It goes by 4 names.

Pinova, Pinala, Corail, & Sonata.

finally found some opal apples in the store. very sweet, aromatic. jolly rancher or banana flavor is a good way to describe it, and moderately crisp - i like them. i wish they would license it out for small growers.

3 Likes

Nice taste and different look to them.

I tried one on my recent trip to Denver. It was OK nothing great. Firm not crisp. Kind of a strange flavor. Moderately sweet.

2 Likes