Opal Apples

I just had an extra good one. Firm and crisp, didn’t measure, but definitely over 18 brix. The last batch was hit and miss, some of them were as you describe.

1 Like

Very good apple.

Walmart’s selling this Opal blend.

7 Likes

Got some Opal Apple today.

1 Like

I really like Opal apples . It seems they are actually ripe when picked unlike some other apples in the store .

2 Likes

They’re very good Jerry. Super crispy texture.

1 Like

Hello, everyone,
Opal Apples on their Facebook page is giving a $5.00 off coupon if you answer the following question via private message.

Where are apple apples grown?

Thanks, I got the $5 coupon.

I must have got a less than desirable bag of Opal apples on Tuesday. I’ve eaten a few of them now and they are “meh” at best. Nowhere near as much flavor as Jazz and not very crisp. Not much different than a store bought Golden Delicious

I think when they are left at room temperature too long they lose their crisp texture and zing, they just keep the sugar and an okay flavor.

It’s very disappointing when that happens, because the good ones are remarkable.

2 Likes

They look amazing but all the ones I have bought have been kind of soft, pretty sweet, but with zero acidity. Kind of mediocre. I hope to try a fresher specimen some day.

Just one large orchard in Washington State has the rights to grow OPAL in the USA.
Fruit Grower mag.

1 Like

My flat of seedlings from Opal…all got diseases bad.

I grew up on a very large (108 acres) apple farm in the Ohio valley. I have a nose for apples and what the groceries are trying to push. If you grab an apple that feels soft, the skin will “pinch” or the apple is glazed over by a cloudy look, you are buying “cellar” apples. These are apples that large producers and distributors have harvested earlier in the year before ripened. They are stored in large underground units where the room is charged and pressurized with a certain chemical gas to slow the ripening of the fruit. This doesn’t stop the aging process, which is why the fruit looks just-picked off the tree but the flesh is mealy and soft. Buying apples in the winter months means you got a cellar apple or one from south of the tropics climate.

6 Likes

Yes
And jealousy guarded by the commercial Orchards.

Speaking of…I saw Opal on somebody’s list of scionwood for sale this week.

(Hate to disappoint you, but I’ve been on so many websites in the last 5 days, I definitely don’t remember.)

Couldn’t find it but did see sweet tango scion. I’ll keep looking

Sometimes you get different results depending on the search engine you start from.
Google has become the big elephant, but there are other perspectives.
startpage.com is one
yandex.com is a Russian search…and I’ve found more info on some of the red fleshed apples via that one.
there’s also baidu.com and you get the Chinese perception in English.
I’ll try
and let you know should I come back across it.
May have been some group in California, Oregon or Washington, but I simply don’t recall.

It must have been Opal plum, I have seen it myself and thought the same thing.

1 Like

It also could have been the Opal apple from U.K. or abbreviation for Opalescent apple.

1 Like