Opal Apples

Well maybe but sweet tango scion is sold out so must have been popular. I don’t think there supposed to sell outside NY.

1 Like

Club apple trees (Opal and Sweet Tango are two of many) cannot be grown by those outside their legal agreements. Thus, scionwood of those club apples should not be sold, either.

It would not surprise me that scionwood of Sweet Tango or any club apples would sell out fast. However, buyers could get scammed, too. It would take 3-4 years before you know it, though.

Sweet Tango patent will expire in 2026.

2 Likes

Fortunately I’m not interested in sweet tango. I just can’t find the new variety firecracker that was just released. I got one spot left too

One Green World has the Firecracker trees.

Doesn’t “firecracker” have a trademark…but not a patent?

I think Firecracker is not a club apple.

@fullplate is looking for it. I merely pointed out where to buy that variety.

1 Like

Sutton Elms website in the UK says it’s the same as “Bill’s Redflesh”…Firecracker.

Firecracker is one of the three new releases from Cornell’s own breeding program. Firecracker does not have red fleshed. All three varieies are open-release. Anyone can grow them.

OK…I stand corrected. (although the ‘firecracker’ that some are selling is red fleshed…either Burnt Ridge or Raintree sells a red fleshed “Firecracker”.

How is opals fireblight resistance ? Its a very good apple that has that wonderful unique taste of the old strain golden delicious apples?

Sadly “Firecracker red fleshed” was similar to other red fleshed varieties for me and very weak to fireblight.

Don’t know about fire blight…but I planted seeds of Opal and they sure got cedar apple rust’!

1 Like

One green world is the red fleshed trademark name firecracker not the Cornell release unfortunately. Thanks anyways for trying

1 Like

Doubtful that anyone here can answer that question since Opal is only licensed to one grower in Washington state AFAIK, and it won’t be available to any of us in our lifetime. It looks to me that the seedlings from this apple are highly variable in all respects. I’m hoping to get a few to fruit this year from grafted seedling scions.

1 Like

Sorry about that. I did not know there are two two different apples named Firecracker.

If I were you, I would call Cummins nursery. It is in Ithaca, NY. The chance of it carrying new Cornell apple varieties is good, IMO.

I guess it can’t hurt by actually calling them and they did say they’d give me a credit for a miss I’d plum too

Looks like it is fireblight resistant and scab resistant. Its always hard to find fireblight resistance from sites in europe but i found one that listed it as such.

1 Like

You could grow some seeds of the Opal Apple and bud graft onto a dwarf Apple rootstock.
Might get the same flavor fruits.
Would take about 3 years to see the results.

Richard,

According to your link it says its resistant to common scab but susceptible to gloeosporium, which apparently causes anthracnose.

1 Like

You are definitely correct murky, every site listed it as scab resistant and i do not know why i put that there! However they also listed it as Fireblight resistant

This is from the creators website, I love that he is helping apples grow more naturally and need less pesticides and fungicides and breeding disease resistant delicious varieties for all of us!

The slightly rustic appearance enhances its appeal as a natural treasure. This is further enhanced by the natural resistance against apple scab, tolerance to powdery mildew and tree canker as well as robustness after infection to the most important bacterial disease fireblight. All in all, the variety ‘UEB 32642’ requires less agrochemical input when being cultivated.

I will go ahead and edit my post so i am not spreading bad information and look at all the places this thing can be grown i guess it wants to ripen with a bit of heat.