Open House tomorrow. Organic pest control

My one bluebird house has eggs in it so my granddaughters and I built two wren house for our backyard orchard. Open house tomorrow

2 Likes

Bill, that is so darling. I had 4 bluebird houses up on my farm in Indiana. One house sat right on one of our horse fencing posts, looking over my big veggie garden. It was my most favorite thing in the world to watch those bluebirds raise their first set of hatchlings, who would venture out into my veggie garden to eat bugs, then fly back to the high tensile wire and the box. The first nestlings would stick around, and help the parents rear the second set of nestlings, so by August or so, I would have many beautiful bluebirds in my veggie garden, it was so delightful. We had a neighbor who trained her bluebirds to come to the feeder when she rang a bell. She would go out every evening to put our dried mealworms and ring her bell. Please keep us posted with photos on the babies?

My bird houses have doors for cleaning out and for peeking inside. I looked inside this afternoon and they did not disappoint me. The bluebird eggs are almost as pretty as the bird.

2 Likes

Those photos, sir, are awesome! What neat projects.

1 Like

Thanks for the lovely photo, Bill! The nests bluebirds build as so neat and tidy. So much careful work! They use those nests in the winter as insulation and will overwinter in their houses. They just all pile in, one on top of the other :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m hoping that the bluebirds and wrens actually help with some of the insect pest in my fruit trees. I build the houses and other projects and then disassemble before the Grand’s come over. They seem to have a wonderful time assembling the projects. Bill

1 Like

Thanks

This house is officially occupied.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, Bill! Babies!! Bluebirds are fantastic insect eaters, I am sure your trees and garden will benefit. My veggie garden in Indiana sure did. I would stand on my big back deck, and look out over my large veggie garden and watch the Bluebirds spend all evening in there, eating bugs. August, at the end of my veggie garden season, with my late veggies, I’d have mom and dad Bluebird, plus two sets of fledglings in my garden. About 10 to 14 Bluebirds working hard in my veggie garden! The first set of fledglings stay nearby to help the parents raise the second set of fledglings.

You open the door one day and see a nest full baby bluebirds and the next day they are gone. Cleaned out the old nest and hoping to get one more nest of birds.