Optimal field grafting times in spring

When did you take the tour at Geneva? I would like to tour it when it isopen to public if possible.

1 Like

We went in 2018. According to that year’s announcement, it occurs on the Third Saturday of September every year from 9:00 to 11:00 am at McCarthy Farm, 2865 County Road 6 (Preemption Road), Geneva, NY. No reservation is needed.

Some years, they get out publicity better than other years. We didn’t see an announcement last year until after the fact. If I hear anything in advance this year, I will post here.

The tour included both the vineyard and orchard. Before tours of each, we gathered around tables with many examples of fruits and listened to the researchers discuss the different varieties. On the apple table were some familiar varieties, lots that were new to me, red-fleshed apples, some huge, some small and clustered like grapes, and others distinctive in other ways. The walking tour was not vigorous but included trekking over some uneven ground. The weather was gorgeous. After ten minutes or so of opening remarks, the first half hour was spent on the grape collection. Then the rest of the time was devoted to the apple collection. After our two hours, Dr. C. Thomas Chao, Horticulturist/Curator and our guide, left us on our own to explore.

I learned AndySmith was there the same year we were, but I didn’t know to look for him then. If some other growingfruit members go when we next do, it would be fun to meet up.

3 Likes

Thank you. We will see if we can go. We will need to stay overnight as it is 10 hours round trip but I have always wanted to visit the Geneva site.

Please keep us posted. If we can, we will attend. Thank you very much.

1 Like

As I just posted elsewhere, no walking tour again this year.

2 Likes

Does bark stop slipping and then go back to slipping at all? Sorry if I missed this info somewhere but I can’t figure out if the fluctuating temperatures later in spring after bark has started slipping would influence the slip levels (?) needed for some grafting styles. I saw that someone mentioned water influencing the slip stage situation too and that got me wondering.

My apple tree bark was really slipping two weeks ago and the leaves were all mouse eared. Because Ohio, it is going to be 28 degrees (F) tonight. How does that affect grafting conditions in regards to the bark? It it now considered slipping no matter what or do I need to back off again?

Thanks!

1 Like

No, if it’s already been slipping this Spring, it’ll continue to slip. And, you simply continue to graft.

4 Likes

Can you post of photo of how you graft grapes into the base of 6-12" growth? Do you cut the trunk back to the where the growth is and then graft into the trunk where the growth was?

Cut the green shoot to be maybe 3" long and then do a wedge or whip and tongue on that shoot.