Optimal field grafting times in spring

There have been many threads here on when to graft, but one thing I would like is a list based on how far along the leaves/buds are on the stock. The temperatures are also important but that information is more well-known; I’ll include it here anyway (highs for the day are what is listed). Note that temps are callus temps and do not take into account the fact that the sun may be warming up the graft unions well beyond these ranges. The sun can add 20F to the air temperature and will significantly change the rate of callus. Also remember that grafts also will callus at night, it is having as many hours as possible in the ideal callus window that matters.

Anyway here is my current thought… I will edit this based on comments. These timings are not uniform across all climates unfortunately, but hopefully close enough that we can share data.

• Apples - 45-70F. Tight cluster is optimal, up to 1" leaves still excellent. You want to graft apples on the early side compared to most things as there is a big spring flush of growth that early grafts will get and late grafts will miss. There is a fairly wide window of opportunity, but don’t graft before major bud swell and don’t bother once it is hot.

• Pear - similar to apples and generally easier to get takes so more leeway.

• Peach - 65F-80F. 1-2" leaves seems to be the point when I have had the best luck on average over the years. 1/2" to 3" can work depending on how the temperatures are, peaches are more grafted based on temps than on growth because they are so temperature-sensitive for callusing. The above range is the callus window but don’t forget the sun effects, and shield with aluminum foil if it is getting sunny and temps are in the 70’s or higher.

• Apricot - 60F-80F. Similar to peach, also almost as difficult.

• Cherry - 55F-70F. I am a bit rusty having not grafted cherries in a few years. I think it was 1/2"-2"?

• J Plum - 55F-70F. Graft at 1/2"-2" I would say; they are easier than peaches but harder than E plums.

• E Plum - 55F-65F. 1/2"-2". Similar to J plums but easier to get takes.

• Grape - 80-90F. Around 6" of growth is needed before it is warm enough to graft grapes. Or wait til 1’ or so and graft to the base of the new green shoot. I have had best luck with this approach and do all my grapes this way now.

• Kiwi - 60-70F. 1-2" leaves. They seem to do better on the early as opposed to later side, the plants accept grafts more willingly when not too late.

• Persimmon - 70-80F. Persimmons bud out relatively later; I would guess my leaves are usually around 1/2"-1" long when the temps have warmed up enough to graft. The ideal window is a bit hard to hit as you want it to be warm but when the plant gets too far along grafts seem to be rejected. If the buds are small the bark may not be slipping yet, persimmons are a bit delayed on getting the bark slipping compared to other trees.

• Pawpaw - 55-75F? Pawpaws are usually pretty easy as long as you are not really late… 1"-3" leaves should work.

• Jujube - 60-80F. Jujubes should have little nubby growth of at least 1/4".

I haven’t grafted enough figs or nuts to have anything more than a guess.

41 Likes

Scott, I don’t do anything precise anymore, grafted a week ago with temps in the eighties, check this morning, new little shoots from pluots and pears. Than guess what, a hail storm a half hour later, it just finish hailing. This happens to you!?

2 Likes

Excellent information in one spot!

I suppose containerized apple rootstocks from last year or the year before count as field grafting? If so, I completed over 20 grafts to such before rootstock shipments began this year.
The sap had started to flow, but most buds were not yet swollen.
Those grafts for the most part 3+ weeks later now are showing scionwood growth in these potted plants outdoors.

On the other hand, grafting to a Wolf River tree that had no signs of coming to life … those sticks of wood I added to that tree have not come to life yet either.

Perhaps not related? But I have a question: Grafts of an early flowering crab apple made to a late-to-wake-up tree such as Wolf River…are they delayed significantly because of the tree they are grafted to? I suppose you could call the CONVERTED Wolf River tree an “interstem” on a grand scale.

1 Like

@ramv and I were talking a little,when side grafting came up.I mentioned Bob Purvis recommends it for stone fruit,so much,that he adds it to the order form,when buying his scions.
Ram checked out the website and found a tutorial,about how and when and also advantages,to why it is done.
It’s something I’ve yet to do,but am going to try this season.bb

6 Likes

For newbies like me, can you also specify your grafting process? For example do you use grafting tape, parafilm, bands or electrical tape. Do you cover the grafts with anything- foil, paper bag. How long do you wait before touching/ checking the grafts? What type of graft method do you most commonly use?

Scott - my peaches are almost done blooming…but no good temp window even 10 days out.

Yet my apples don’t even appear to have bud swell yet, which concerns me a bit.

I’d love to see you specify what kind of grafting you use on each type of tree. Do cleft grafts work better (in your opinion) on Japanese plums? Or do you tend to use the same kind/kinds of graft on all types?

Scott

I personally don’t find a big difference in the different types in terms of success. I almost always use bark grafts because they are the easiest and fastest, and you can put many on a larger trunk. But they may need support to keep from getting knocked over in the wind once they grow out. If the stock is small I use a wedge graft. T buds I sometimes use in the spring as backups.

My covering process is I use parafilm initially, after covering the open surfaces I make a “rope” out of it by twisting and wrap the graft a bunch of times with it. This keeps things pressed together well. Then I paint with Doc Farwells which makes a cap over everything. I don’t parafilm the scions, they just get Doc Farwells. There are many other good ways to do it, the main thing is to wrap it tight so the surfaces are pressed together, and to do something to keep the scion from from drying out.

I usually don’t use aluminum foil, but on peaches I usually do as they need temperature control.

My plan for peaches this year is to do a bunch of T-buds tomorrow as it will be high 70. But the main grafting I am going to wait for some warmer weather. This spring it was too warm early but it has now relatively cooled off so the normal good peach grafting window is not showing up. That is why I am going to hedge my bets with some T-buds tomorrow.

Hey here is a plum I topworked yesterday:

For these big stumps I just wrapped parafilm around a couple times and then painted over. They are so big that the scions are lodged very tightly, due to the thick bark. This is my Nadia now turning into four plums.

8 Likes

I’m waiting to graft. Some heresay that we may get a warm stretch around 4/6.

Thanks, Scott!

Still not seeing a good Peach window.

Also - I find it hard to believe that our last freeze for the season was March 9 (last time I had a sub-32 in my backyard), and the longer we go without another one, the more catastrophic I fear the true “last” freeze is going to be.

2 Likes

Eventually a good window should appear. I am a little more worried than most years that it could flip from too-cold to too-hot, but I have managed to find a good peach window every year in the last 15 or so.

I was going to do some T buds yesterday but the weather was cooler than forecast. Then I was going to do T-buds this Thursday as Thu/Fri were forecast warmer but the forecast there is also cooling off. I still may do some, there is no real harm in T-buds as they only use one bud per graft and you can still wedge graft on the same stock later.

If the 60s and sunny hold for a few days, that should work, right? What about the chilly nights?

I was going to wait until a couple consecutive 70s show in the forecast.

Do you do dormant t-buds the same way you’d do them in summer?

The last few years most of my spring grafting / buding on peaches failed,( potted nursery stock , outside ) although some made it , but a low percentage.
Late summer chip buds mostly did good on peaches.
Forced the following spring.

10 days ago I brought 17 potted peaches inside .
W.T. Grafted the tops, and put a chip bud down low for backup.
Put them in a warm room - 75-80 deg.F
All are showing signs of growth.
All the grafts are sprouting ,and some of the chips too.
I believe temperature makes a big difference.

3 Likes

Yes, it is pretty much identical. You can force them in a few weeks, once they look like takes.

@Hillbillyhort I also have had good luck spring grafting peaches indoors. Even if the stocks are abused a bit they have the huge advantage of 24/7 at the perfect callus temperature. Too bad all my stocks are in-ground and leafing out now. One method that would probably work well is to pot up the in-ground stocks in the winter and then graft and heal indoors in the spring.

2 Likes

@scottfsmith
Yah ,…24/7 at ideal temps makes so much difference !
I like ,and agree with the temps. Referenced in your opening post. This is so important!
But with our wild and unpredictable weather its difficult to find the right timing / weather for field grafting.
I understand that many trees that people are grafting, are large, In ground and cannot be brought in where it’s warm.
I also don’t want to change the theme of this thread from field grafting.( to bench grafting)
What I do know is that since I have started grafting and healing up seedlings under controlled temperature conditions , my success rate has improved " treemendously ". !
This just supports your temperature recommendations
And proves how important they are.
Many things can effect the success/ failure of grafting
Temperatures and stage of growth are very important.
Thanks for posting this, it will help many…
Now if we can just get the weather to cooperate!

2 Likes

@scottfsmith,
I finally had time to look up my notes about grafting. I only checked grafting done in 2017-2019. I grafted 100 +.
They were apples, pears, plums (J and E), apricots, cherries, persimmons, jujubes and pawpaws.

I’ve grafted cherries first when temp was colder than any other grafting time.
Cherries - around 2nd week of April. Low temp 40-45 High 50-59

E plums & J plums - about 5-7 days after cherries. Low 36, High 65

Apricots around early May low. High 68

Peaches/nectarines around first week of May, Low 45 High 63- 86
I waited for steady temp of high 60 or early 70’ for 3-4 in a row.

Apples, pears, jujubes, persimmons, pawpaws grafting based on tree development, not on temp (leaves about a mouse’s ear size).

I have had good successful in apples, pears, plums, apricots! Jujubes, pawpaws.

Nectarines and peaches is more challenging. I believe is more weather-dependent that other fruit trees.

I have had good takes when grafting peaches on the first day of 68 F and the temp remained that high or higher 3-4 in a row after grafting.

I think I can graft peaches when temp barely hits 70F because in general, temp here does not swing too much. Steady temp really helps, IMHO.

3 Likes

Apples, I have done at 40 degrees outdoors, with nights in 20’s.
Still got over 80%.
This year with the warm weather…I am thinking my take will be over 90% for the first time…unless seedlings or frankentrees pull down the percents.

The experiences of others is useful in helping with what is going good and what could be better.

4 Likes