Orange Beauty jujube

Finally will have the chance to taste my first Orange Beauty jujube soon. Thanks @castanea.

Tony

8 Likes

I’m jealous. My double branched tree that has OB on one side has a HJ seedling on the other side. That one did fruit this year and while it was sweet it’s small and full of seed like a wild juju. So…it’s coming off next year and may just allow that tree to go total OB.

2 Likes

fruits borne by seedlings will get bigger as seedlings get older. Sometimes may get 3-4x the size of fruits borne the year before. And the pulp-to-pit ratio may also increase, and likewise with the sweet-to-sour ratio. Was so elated to witness our ~4 yr old vegas spicy produce considerably bigger fruits this year, approaching or exceeding 1" diameter and having thicker pulp . Will post pics later. Was initially resigned to it being just of spinosa size. Fruits were so much sweeter this yr than last year, with hardly the metallic taste . My only complaint is that the increased sugars diluted the spiciness somewhat. But yes, i actually like v spicy better now than v baby, and by a long shot, primarily due to spicy’s much enhanced vital statistics. V. baby is years older, but fruits continue to be tiny.

4 Likes