Orange Beauty jujube

One of my jujube seedlings that was good enough to be named. Very tasty fruit.

13 Likes

worthy of a trademark! You should adapt a OGW approach to your seedling. Or even a honeycrisp or pink lady patent :ok_hand:

incidentally, do tell us once your creation starts to sucker in bothersome numbers. Quite certain there will be a black friday line in no time, lol!

6 Likes

I just grow things for fun. So far you and Cliff England will be the only two to have this one.

2 Likes

your creations are in the same league as chico, ga-866, etc.

bred in america, no less.

I look forward to hearing your opinion about the flavor. It’s somewhat unique. When you bite into it you think you know how it’s going to taste but it goes in a slightly different direction. I really like it. The texture is also slightly different than what you are expecting.

sure will! Actually, i am already convinced it is pretty good. Anyone who grows a juju from seed and speaks highly of it is enough evidence for me. And is plenty evidence about one’s expertise. No questions asked.

your creation must have a bit of li genes.
a prime li has a really pleasant lingering after-taste that is so refreshing in the mouth.

1 Like

Can’t wait to find out what my seedlings from seed will do. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

In fairness, I grown at least 15 seedlings that were forgettable, usually with small sour fruit. I have 4 seedlings that are pretty good and I have named two of those.

3 Likes

keep us posted! Apart from taste— productivity, thornlessness, and tolerance of ‘cold feet’ are the three others to aim for. But taste is definitely the priority, since growing them on their own roots means any sucker which sprouts will be bearing good fruit

2 Likes

How’s the fruit coming along on this one this year? Thanks.

1 Like

Very light fruit. I repotted it and also cut off lots of wood to give to other jujube growers.

4 Likes

This year it has recovered from the pruning I did in 2016 to get wood and it will have a nice crop.

6 Likes

My two trees are in a growing phase at 6 feet tall and dropped all the flowers the last two years. Hopefully, they will produce next year. How long did it takes for your OB to produce? Thx for the scions.

Tony

There are a few little fruits but turned yellowish and will eventually drop the fruits.

4 Likes

I don’t recall how old it was when it first produced fruit but the fruit was sparse the first year or two.

2 Likes

A decent crop this year.

I’m having a better opportunity to evaluate the fruit quality. This is really a nice tasting jujube. It has sweetness combined with a hint of acidity. It’s not a punch of acidity like Chico has, but just a hint that makes the taste more interesting. I don’t usually like dried jujubes but this is very nice when dried.
I’ve also noticed that many of the fruit have a tiny point on the tip, like these:

9 Likes

Can’t wait for mine to produce next year!

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

I just found 3 dried Orange Beauty fruits on a shelf and tentatively tried one of them. It was excellent, so I ate the other two before anyone else could get them.

3 Likes

I have my fingers crossed. Hopefully, this is the year for my OB to set fruits. Last year was all flowers even though I hand pollinated with about 5 different varieties with no luck. The tree is older this Spring so I just have to be a little patience with it. The sweet and crunchy Honey Jar is my therapy for now.

1 Like

I grafted OB last year and it grew like a champ and bloomed but no fruit. It was grafted onto a juvenile seedling that had double branching and it also bloomed but did not fruit. Maybe this year!!

2 Likes