Orchard electric fence installation question

Electric fence question. I want to install my fence charger inside my building that is near the orchard and run two small 12 ga coated copper electrical wires from the inside to the outside. If this doesn’t cause functioning issues I would only have to drill two very small holes through the building. The ground wire can be connected nearby. The other wire is where my main question is. I would like to connect the (hot wire) onto my galvanized wire just on the outside of my building. Will using a coated wire and then connecting to the galvanized wire reduce the output/effectiveness? Thanks and any comments are welcome.

I believe there is some risk of Lightning following the wire back into the building, so put a lightning diverter and separate ground for it outside.
There is corrosion on a zinc plated wire when attaching copper to it.
Can seal the connection from moisture, and or leave enough slack in the wires to remove / reattach connection in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks. The ground rod will near the wire exit from the building. Hope that is okay. I can and will leave enough slack to reconnect the wires. Those are some great tips that are easy to do.

1 Like

The insulation the copper wire will not be enough to prevent discharging into the building wall itself.

1 Like

Thanks

This is a real possibility, ?
Using gray PVC electrical conduit though the wall would be appropriate.
I have used the gray pvc for gate handles on high power fences,
Insulates very well.

2 Likes

At my previous location I used a section of drip line to go from the building to the outside and it worked well so I’m sure conduit would also work. This time I was hoping to reduce the hold size by using 12 ga electrical wire.

They do make well insulated wire for electric fence ,for direct burial such as under gates. I would think that would work.
The ability of the pulse of a Electric fence to jump gaps is much different than household current. Some insulation may not be effective. Could get @Olpea and his farm hand , to grab ahold of it to test the insulation? ( as he mentioned they tested “ it “ in another post.)
A 1/2 in. Or 3/4 in. Conduit is not a very big hole in the wall.

2 Likes

Your right and I might have to go ahead and cut the hole 1/2-3/4". Sounds like the easiest way to do it.

Yah. Or just put that charger outside.
Most are made to be fastened to a fence post out in the elements.
So a minimal protection like a birdhouse roof would be great.
This would reduce the lightning hazard to your building. And simplify other things except Theft.
It’s good to have at least a cut off switch outside.So you can shut it off quickly if some thing or someone needs it shut off

1 Like

Bill,

I may be misunderstanding, but it sounds like you want to carry the fence current (with many thousands of volts) on copper wire. If this is the case, note that most copper wire is rated 600v max (some is 300v max). Thousands of volts will eat the copper wire.

Also as Hillbilly points out, mixed metals of zinc and copper don’t work well in electrical connections. You’ll need the appropriate paste to make the connections safe.

The best thing as Hillbilly mentioned is to get insulated electric fence zinc coated wire to run to your fence.

2 Likes

Good advice. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like