Orchard / Garden / Farm skills

Growing fruit takes much more than orchard knowledge, rather we must be a jack of all trades at times. What do you do extra that is directly related to growing fruit? This weekend keeping the orchard mowers running was a challenge. The backup mower had a tire get poked through by wire and the belt that turns the blades on the main mower slipped off. I would gladly pay someone to handle this but it’s easier to do it myself than deal with unloading/loading a mower or having them drive an hour to get here.

In my downtime I’m working with the dog that handles the rabbit chasing in the orchard. He must constantly pressure them so his job is a big one!
The person who raised this dog is very close to me. They know lots of tricks when it comes to raising and training dogs! Here is a baby picture! BB859DB0-46DD-44D0-AEA8-AAB1AD167843

14 Likes

The paws! When fo they stop biting? My hands are scratched from needle teeth!

1 Like

Beautiful doggy.

1 Like

Dogs do that for the first 1 1/2 to 2 years. I don’t think of a 2 year old as being a puppy but they are. He ran 3 rabbits out of the orchard yesterday and today. Anytime they do something good you ask like sit you give them a treat for two reasons 1. Shows your the alpha of the pack ( authority ) 2. Rewards them for listening to you and they always will. Never treat them when they are bad or it teaches them to do it again. When they run away cold shoulder them, ignore them when they come back which lets them know your displeased but don’t spank them. Never spank them when they run way and come back or that teaches them to not come back. I’m not the best trainer but I’m working on it. I taught him to drink from hydrants now because sometimes there is not a bowl out there and if there was animals with disease might drink from it outside. I cupped my hands and gave him water from my hands then I held my hand under the hydrant so he could drink and finally he learned to drink directly from the hydrant but it took a week to reach him that. This is not my dog either but he stays here right now. He has been here a couple of months and really loves it here. I give him dog food , eggs and sometimes cooked beef which he’s done well on and slimmed up. He also eats small amounts of fruit. I look everything up that I feed him since nuts, chocolate etc. are very toxic for dogs.

1 Like

Awwwww!

1 Like

i have a blue healer / border collie mix. they love to learn!

2 Likes

The puppy picture is soooo cute!

2 Likes