Ordering Jujube and Chinese Hawthorn Trees

besides, life is short, and trees could take a lifetime of waiting sometimes!

i have coco, it got ran over by those obese and quarrelsome neighborhood cats. Only gave me one fruit last year, which was pretty good, and none this year, but at least it grew a foot taller(from ~10") and seems to have recovered from the bulldozing accident. The fully ripe coco tastes similar to a sihong that has yet to become fully brown.

I have a few jujube seedlings, from 2" to 6" tall. Should I let them go dormant and take to garage? Or keep them inside as houseplant? I think they are too small to grow in the field. What you think?

Anyone ordered trees from Le Cooke wholesaler? I do not hear it very often…

Bob, I ordered one So from Just Fruits for my new front spot. Its in the mail now, will give a report on how it looks when it shows up. I was going to order two but they were so expensive I held off. I decided instead to try to dig up and move some of my other ones this winter. I have rarely killed things I dug up in winter moves, the worst that happens is they get severely set back.

if the 6 incher has turned woody, probaby fine in garage. If green/herbaceous, bring them inside as houseplants. Smallest ones probably need to be brought in

Thanks for the comments. Hope yours will grow big next year and start fruiting

I was surprised that the shipping was so high. I got 3 jujubes and a persimmon (Gwang Yang) and shipping was $67.92, making 4 trees $245.88.

Bob,

Just fruits sent out nice strong tree in pot with soil and I think that is why the shipping is high.

Tony

They do send out nice trees, which is why I went back for more. The So has been both good-tasting and has kept to a manageable size.

I split a same-sized order with a co-worker 4 years ago (one So and Tam Kam for each of us, 4 total) and it was $15 boxing fee and $28.05 shipping ($43.05 total shipping, for a grand total of $193.01).

Maybe shipping has gone up in general. I’ve also ordered 3 jujube from One Green World (one of each) and a arctic kiwi (after the male hardy kiwi that I was sent from another nursery was a kolomikta) for a shipping cost of $68.90, which is even more than JFaE. Given the price, I’m guessing that they send potted plants as well.

Bob,
Have you ordered jujubes from Burntridge? Want to hear from those ordering jujubes from it.

I ordered pears and apples from them. Tree size was smaller than, say, raintree’s or Cummins but so was the price.

I haven’t ordered any jujubes from Burnt Ridge. Some stuff has been very small, while others were great (Izu persimmon and Montrose apricot were both huge).

After I told you about HJ at Raintree, they promptly sold out,bummer.

What is HJ?

Honey Jar jujube.

Tony

How do you guys like Raintree in general?

I ordered from raintree a few times. Never had any problem. Look like some people had a few tree quality issues recently.

Bob, how much have you invested in jujube? :smile:
It is expensive to have a Chinese wife… :blush:

Actually, I just go overboard on everything :blush:

I do keep good spreadsheets, so I can sum everything up and know exactly how much money I am wasting/investing (depending on perspective- my wife says she just views it as my gym membership :smile:).

Counting the purchases in the last few days, I’ve spent ~$450 on jujubes. That exclude shipping, as it is hard to compare the different fruits if it is included, as I would then need to apportion the shipping costs proportionally across each of the 49 orders. I’ve spent almost 3X as much on apples, and ~$6500 total (almost 8K with shipping), but that is over the last 5.5+ years. I am pretty frugal in other areas though- I haven’t gone out to eat in years (other than for work) and it’s been at least 10 years since I’ve bought clothing other than shoes, though it sometimes magically appears after my wife has gone shopping.

1 Like

you and i both! Clothes don’t last forever, whereas jujube trees last a thousand years!