Ordering Jujube and Chinese Hawthorn Trees

I still wear some of the garments more than 10 years old… lol.

Contacted Meyer’s. Shirley says they still sell the trees at the farm, but no shipping.

I’m still looking for sources for ShanXi Li. No success so far. Let me know if you know… Thx.

Redsun,

You can call Cliff England at England Orchard to see if he can graft one for you.

Tony

I need quite a few Shanxi Li.

If you put in a big order then I am pretty sure he will try his best to accomplish it. Never hurt to ask. He is a good guy.

Tony

Yes he is. But it takes a year to do it.

Shanxi Li is hard to find except for Roger Myers and England Orchard. One year waiting in fruit year is not that long. The jujube can survive for at least 500 yrs old or more. I think the oldest one in China is about 1000 yrs old. One solution is order a bunch from Roger and take a vacation to California in February and pick up your order and drive home or ask one of our members that live near Roger to ship them for you and pay the postage.

Tony

I’ll see what I can do. So far, I do not know anyone who is close to Roger Meyer.

Why not graft your own? I sold you Shanxi Li last winter.

That tree is still very small. Also, I’ll need quite a few trees. I buy for my friends.
The rootstock I’m trying to grow are still no more than 6" tall…

Jujube are drought tolerant. But if fertilized and watered they can grow 4-6ft per yr.

They are watered and slightly fertilized, but not growing at that pace. All of them. One had 3/4 of the trunk (frozen) damaged. So just hope they grow good roots this year. Not sure when I can expect some fruits…

Bay Laurel had it for 2016 but they are sold out now. Based on last year, I expect Rolling River will post their new stock online in mid-January.

Here are some of my jujube trees. This year’s top growth is all about 1’ to 2’.

If you want them to take off apply more nitrogen and mulch a larger area.

Make sense. They leaf out late (typical) and I did not want to put down fertilizer before that. Then we had hot summer, they stopped growing. They should grow better next year.

just like hj, shanxi li budwood is still in short supply, so it is understandable that any type of budwood is conserved by would-be grafters There are more semi-deciduous stems than perennial stems on any given tree, so likely one will receive a fruit-ready graft, and not a vegetatively-active graft.

forgot to add, burntridge seems to be the only nursery which sells chico jujus at ~5 feet long each and with very thic calipers.

AND just now–chomped on a few yard-grown chico fruits on its second year of planting. The strong apple flavor was already there last year, but fruits were not as perky and sugary, even though similarly sized.

can’t believe it is the SAME tree have been getting those fruits from! now consider chico a close-second to sihong, while sherwood and hj being equals at a distant third place…

if you like your apples exceptionally sweet, don’t plant an apple tree, plant a chico juju instead!

I just got the shipping notification from JFaE. For 4 trees, the shipping weight is 60lbs (spread across 2 boxes). This is up 25% from 48lbs for 4 trees when I ordered from them 4 years ago, so I suppose it makes sense that shipping went up. Hopefully they left some side branches this time. They were pruned pretty close to the trunk in 2011.

I don’t see Coco at BR. All they are offering this year are So, Sugar Cane, and Lang.

Last year, Burnt Ridge updated their listed stock in late December/early January. You’ll probably need to wait a couple of months to see what they will really have. They’ve offered Coco the last two seasons, so I imagine they would probably offer it again for the upcoming season.

1 Like