Ornamental weeping tree advice

I would like advice on which weeping tree to get. It can flower or fruit or simply be ornamental, it doesn’t really matter.

My wife wants the weeping tree. I have pointed out some weeping cherries and similar things and they are not what she is after. They are too rigid. She would like something that flows in the breeze.

We drove past some willow trees, apparently they are the right shape. They flow in the breeze. Unfortunately I don’t think they can grow in our lawn as it is dry.

Can someone please suggest a weeping tree that is similar to a willow but can survive when planted in a lawn.

How about a Weeping Santa Rosa plum?

Weeping redbud is a nice smaller size tree

practically all the fruiting branches of jujubes are herbaceous and get weepy, though not as weepy and long-stemmed as willows. The contorted juju has a dense weepy growth which your wife might like, and will be an excellent alternative to grow on your dry lawn since jujus are desert denizens. Contorteds are some of the most ornamental fruit-bearing trees, with or without foliage

2 Likes

your So (Contorted) is far more weepy and has more fruit than mine does. Mine is also up against a wall. How tall is it?

Scott

Thanks for the replies! I will look into them and see if they meet the requirements.

I probably should have said we are in a temperate zone that gets frost down to about -10C. I think it translates to zone 8 or 9a.

I’m a pretty big fan of Cercidiphyllum japonicum Pendula.

Edit: not drought tolerant

Dax

there might be two types of contorted so, and should find out next year. Possible though that your juju is currently producing on younger laterals, as olders ones(such as shown on photo i posted)tend to produce longer and more productive fruiting branches. First-year laterals would look sparse, with just a few relatively short fruiting branches, usually just two per node along the lateral. On the second year the nodes will grow three or even four fruiting branches, and gets denser every year, especially if the apical node of the tree is decapitated. The tree we posted is kept at ~10 feet tall.
below is a pic(of the same tree taken in 2015) with recent apical growth which you’d notice only had sparse foliage at the time, since all laterals were young. The previous photo i posted was taken in 2016. Jujus also tend to grow denser in regions with longer growing seasons and overall daylight hours, since overlapping of foliage will not be as detrimental to production as it would in more northerly latitudes

2 Likes

that’s great, actually an optimal region to grow jujus

I like weeping mulberry. I tried grafting a weeping MB (White?) to a good sized red mulberry but, it did not take so, I top worked it with Issai and It should produce something with an aesthetically pleasing weeping habit but, it also bears fruit.

Apparently they are all too rigid. She would like something that can flow in the breeze, like the willows do. I am not sure if we will find anything suitable. Cercidiphyllum japonicum Pendula was the first ‘maybe’ I have encountered.

You have got me thinking about jujube for another part of our property. I have lots of questions about them, but may do some reading of other threads first.