Osoberry (Oemleria cerasiformis) thread

Thanks, I was aware of that, but I am a sucker for common names. Everyone I know that has a green thumb yet lovingly refers to them Indian plums. I am an ichthyologist but I don’t bust out the Latin names of fish unless someone asks. TBH I have never heard of them referred to as osoberry. I just went hiking with my kids near Oso Washington this past week to an old mine. But I do know the Latin name. I know the Latin name of every edible plant on my lot. I write them on my plant map.

I was referring to the earlier discussion:

I forgot to update this thread in the spring. All the seeds that sprouted were eaten by birds or squirrels in a small sprouted size. I guess they are tasty! I still haven’t been successful at rooting cuttings, mine dried out and never grew. That was trying dormant cuttings last spring, I’ll try green wood this spring maybe.

2 Likes

The prune family IS Rosaceae. Yes, the genus is different, but osoberry and prunes are both in Rosaceae.

I have lots of osoberries but they taste like bitter cucumber here. Would you be willing to send me scions of your better varieties so I can graft them over?

1 Like

@JohannsGarden
Check the tribes.

Too bad you couldn’t pickle them w garlic and put ‘em on a sandwich. Haha

2 Likes

That’s a decent idea

Osoberry relish sounds delicious!

@Richard The reference was to them being the same family not the same tribe. While you’re not wrong about them being in a different tribe I struggle to understand why you’re trying to dispute a claim that was never made here. Let it go. Lol…

Just to straighten out mistaken plant names for other readers:

Actually, Oso Berry is not native to IL.

The prunes are not a family nor a tribe. They are a genus.

Actually:

Crazy I didn’t catch that @Richard , you are correct. There is also a Gilman trail in seattle that is a multi city bike path goes around the shore of lake Washington. Apparently we are on different Gilman trails at the same time. @Francis_Eric.

1 Like

Topic was recently flagged for moderation. Please remember to be kind to one another.

It looks like Oso Berry is the sole species in Oemleria. Its closest relatives are species of Princepia and Exochorda, which are native to Asia and the Far East. One of them – Common Pearl Bush – is used as a landscape plant in Europe and North America.

Just took a walk through the local old-growth forest, and the osoberries are about to start flowering:

2 Likes

They aren’t quite as far along here but they are close

1 Like