Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

I have a 3 gal pump sprayer from Home Depot, it works well and pressure enough to reach up to about 3 meters,
Dennis
Kent wa

1 Like

Do you have any pictures of your ichang papeda?

Sorry about your contender. I planted a Salish Summer this year, hoping that it will grow well.

Im growing a Redhaven peach. I bought and planted mine last April 2022. It was never sprayed for leaf curl and the leaves were decimated by the leaf curl. I ended up completely defoliating the tree and thankfully a few healthy new shoots grew over the summer months. I made sure to spray the tree with Copper fungicide a couple times over the winter and it made a huge difference. So far this year the tree is looking very healthy with a lot of new growth and plenty of peaches are growing. This will be my first time trying a Redhaven peach. I also have a frost peach growing on a cocktail stonefruit tree which also has a few peaches developing on it so I may be able to compare the 2 varieties. Ive included a couple photos that I found on my phone (I had to zoom in on the photo to get the tree in the shot so its pretty low quality). The first photo is from May 2022 when the tree was entirely affected with leaf curl. The second was taken a few days ago May 2023. The copper spray made a huge difference this year.

2 Likes

Cool. Thank you. I’ve also read that some peach varieties are more susceptible to curl for the first 2 or 3 years.

2 Likes

The branches on my Oregon Curlfree that showed PLC symptoms a couple weeks ago are already pushing new growth that looks healthy, so that was a very shortlived and seems like no big deal, especially if the resistance will grow with age:

3 Likes

Once the weather is warm and dry, you are in the clear :slight_smile:

I forget who suggested blackberries in a greenhouse but thank you. my columbia [giant,sunrise,star] are crazy happy in my greenhouse and they should be a few weeks earlier than the outdoors planted ones. I think they’ll be my earliest fruit this year. it seems like a good use of space because I can train them to catch any otherwise-wasted sunlight and they start leafing out earlier than I can get tomatoes/peppers going

Some oddities to report for the first year in my brand new backyard orchard in Vancouver WA:

Last fall I bought a Hardired nectarine online from Nature Hills, sold as a very mature specimen with nice trunk but it was covered in peach leaf curl, all leaves were disfigured, poor thing. Well, this year it’s leafed out and it’s spotless, not a single leaf has peach leaf curl, it’s growing vigorously, probably just dumb luck because of our unusually dry and short spring. But I hope the nectarine does have the vigor to outgrow PLC since I bought it before I had done the research to find a more PLC resistant nectarine like Pacific Pride/Kreibich. It blossomed beautifully and its the centerpiece in my backyard!

Similarly, I bought a Seckel pear that was covered is pear-cedar rust from the Portland nursery and planted it in the fall. I diligently removed any fallen foliage in the fall. This spring it leafed out much healthier, just a dozen or so leaves with any rust, I plucked those leaves to stop the lifecycle and no more foliage has been affected, the new leaves are spotless and more than a dozen fruit have formed!

I wonder if the lack of disease issues are a matter of pure luck with the weather, or a matter of the fact I’ve planted them on a site with very sandy soil (it’s practically a river bed of rocks), full sun exposure (like 12 hours), spaced them a full 8-10’ apart for circulation, and completely killed by grass by sheet mulching and applying a thick layer of wood chip mulch (which supposedly helps prevent bacterial issues from splashing soil, but may also help regulate fungal pathogen overgrowth?)

This year I began an experiment with growing White Madeira in ground (it’s a sunny, southern spot), I hope it will thrive! I’m also picking up an I-258 fig today to plant in ground.

Also want to throw in a good word for “Online Orchards”, I picked up an all-in-one almond and OR curl free peach from them and they are healthy specimens with thick trunks. They are located in Forest Grove.

I placed a large Burnt Ridge nursery and large Raintree order for apples and pears this spring. I am satisfied with both orders, considering I was able to buy a lot more things at the lower price point that BR offers, but there is considerable variation in the maturity of the specimens you buy from them. The harglow apricot I got from Burnt Ridge was very mature, with large root system, whereas a couple of the apples I bought were effectively whips. Everything I got from Raintree came with large, mature trunks – I bought two pears (warren, buerre superfin), opal plum, emerald beaut plum, and a few apples (queen cox, rubinette, karmijn de sonnaville, and egremont russet).

Final observation is that I bought a golden nectar japanese plum from Portland Nursery and planted it near the bareroot Emerald Beaut I bought from Raintree. The Raintree plum is growing beautifully, leafing out nicely, despite me hacking off one of its roots during a transplant from one spot to another. The Golden Nectar has completely failed to leaf out, though it appears alive, it’s under stress and I’m guessing it’s because it was a rootbound, potted, mature specimen. I wonder if spring is a really bad time to plant potted trees, at least in the fall there’s more rain, less stress, so the potted trees I bought then seem to be doing better. My conclusion is bareroot >>> rootbound potted.

murky, its funny you would ask that question as I was recently debating whether to roll the dice on redhaven or plant an OR curl free…I eventually went with the OR curl free which Online Orchards reported was similar in fresh eating quality to Redhaven. I also read the report from UC that Redhaven has some resistant but other websites said it’s not so resistant in the PNW…Have you grown OR curl free and would you say the quality is comparable or is Redhaven better?

Pakistan mulberry is looking promising

6 Likes

The salmon berries in southern bainbridge island are ripe and looking really cool

8 Likes

Loquat putting out flower buds super late.

8 Likes

Wow!- about 1/4 of my Betty peach set are doubles - that’s more than usual.
IMG_1745
Finding plenty of doubles and nubbins on my other peaches, too.

I think our PNW heat stress last July, August, September may be the cause. Good explanation below.

2 Likes

NO. I can try but I seem to be having problems with my camera right now.
John S
PDX OR

Mine is loaded for the first time too.

BTW, I grafted Silk Hope to it. I meant to graft to root suckers, but 2 of the three were from low starting branches of Pakistan, and only one was on the rootstock. The one on the rootstock looks like it may have failed, and the other two doing great, and fruiting.

Lucky mistake.

5 Likes

First berries of the season.

9 Likes

Great looking berries. Snails (escargots) have discovered my garriguettes!

1 Like

What cultivars? My strawberries have been flowering barely more than a week now, and my honeyberries seem at least 2-3 weeks behind those. Everything is so late this year!

Strawberries are Earliglow, they are the earliest strawberries we’ve ever grown, by far. Very good taste as well. Would be happy to share this variety with you, if interested.
Honeyberry variety in the photo is Aurora, small plant still. My others are Boreal Blizzard and Tana. Also getting close to ripe. What honeyberry varieties are you growing?

2 Likes