Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

Mark, I edited my text above during your read. I was curious about the 3-significant values for your column 3 and 5 temperatures. Apparently WU temp dailies are in tenths.

The table I posted above is from a software tool coded by myself using HTML+css+Javascript, and NOAA daily summary data. I will post the input data format later. Daily WU data would have to be rounded to the nearest integer.

@LarryGene I propose we move the techy stuff to a PM channel

Agreed.

My experience with Stone Fruit is that Plums are the most reliable for regular crops in the Puget Sound lowlands.
Smaller trees than Sweet Cherry, and less diseases than Peach or Apricot.
Unfortunately
People are more interested in the difficult ones.

4 Likes

looks like I got nearly perfect fruit set on japanese plums and pluots this year in eugene. this will be my first big pluot year, unless thereā€™s severe june drop Iā€™ll have a fully loaded 3rd leaf ā€œsugar twistā€, could be 150 or so fruit (needing crazy thinning, there are a few thousand set), plus ~30 each on 2nd leaf flavor grenade and flavor supreme and 10 on 2nd leaf dapple dandy (it didnā€™t flower much). flavor supreme was a relatively light set but I think itā€™ll end up just about right without thinning. I think all of my japanese plums have a full set including santa rosa which is considered finicky here

I did a little hand pollinating a few weeks ago but each time I went out on a nice day I saw tons of native pollinators working and stopped. we had a couple really nice days per week for the last month and I guess that did it, plus each of our spring freezes was just above the MSU guideā€™s critical temp when I checked

3 Likes

A note on peach leaf curl.
I am new to Salem, OR. I have some peaches growing from seed from different areas as well as Burbankā€™s Early Alberta. The Alberta was loaded with PLC this spring, but my Catnip (Iowa) and Fredericksburg (Texas) seedlings were nearby and clean. The Catnip flowered profusely and am waiting to see if fruit were set. The seed comes from an isolated Indian Blood orchard in Iowa. Only source now is seedlings from Oikos.

2 Likes

I strongly believe in growing peaches from seed. They mature so quickly and one can easily start large numbers of seedlings in pots, compost any which show signs of peach leaf curl and then plant only the most resistant of the seedlings.

3 Likes

Do they require stratification? Do you remove the shell? I donā€™t get any volunteers.

1 Like

My best success with stone fruit germination comes when I plant the seeds in community pots right after harvest with a nice layer of wood chip mulch on top. This gives the seed coats plenty of time to start breaking down and allowing moisture into the seeds while still keeping the protective layer intact. It also allows them to naturally stratify and then germinate at the correct time.

I like using a layer of wood chip mulch over the seeds because I strongly believe it helps. This is based off my observation that volunteer stone fruit seedlings often show up at a much higher rate in areas where Iā€™ve spread wood chip mulch in the garden.

5 Likes

Speaking for myself, I like the challenge of trying to get fruit out of trees considered difficult to the region. Itā€™s not really about the end result for me. Itā€™s more about the process. If I just wanted the fruit I could get lots of it for cheap from commercial growers.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve included a few pics of my plum tree. I keep reading that it canā€™t get leaf curl disease, but my tree seems to have not gotten the memo. Some people claim aphids can do this to plums, but that is not the problem. I did have aphids last spring, but I have been vigilant with the neem oil this year. I check the tree daily and not an aphid can I find. Any ideas? Could it be a fungus similar to PLC? Iā€™m mean they are in the same genus, right? Makes sense that they might be susceptible. Perhaps itā€™s just very rare in plums.

Iā€™ve included a few pics of my plum tree. I keep reading that it canā€™t get leaf curl disease, but my tree seems to have not gotten the memo. Some people claim aphids can do this to plums, but that is not the problem. I did have aphids last spring, but I have been vigilant with the neem oil this year. I check the tree daily and not an aphid can I find. Any ideas? Could it be a fungus similar to PLC? Iā€™m mean they are in the same genus, right? Makes sense that they might be susceptible. Perhaps itā€™s just very rare in plums.

1 Like

The Aphids can be very small.Try uncurling some of the tightest leaves and look with a magnifier.
The Aphids last Spring.Did they cause the leaves to curl?

1 Like

There are green objects on the leaf underside in the first image that look like aphids and not like moisture drops.

1 Like

Yes, last year the aphids caused the same issue.

Whatā€™s is most confounding is that this tree is an espalier with 4 different varieties, 2 on the right side, 2 on the left. This lead curling phenomenon only happens on 1 side. The other side is completely unaffected.

Last year I saw lots of aphids. They are green but very easy to spot. I have looked very carefully and havenā€™t seen any. And if there are aphids on this tree why only on one side? Is it possible that plum aphids would only attack one side of the tree? Thatā€™s seems highly unlikely.

Plus I have been vigilant with spraying for aphids. Iā€™ve also sprayed extensively for fungus too.

Whatā€™s is most confounding is that this tree is an espalier with 4 different varieties, 2 on the right side, 2 on the left. This lead curling phenomenon only happens on 1 side. The other side is completely unaffected.

Last year I saw lots of aphids. They are green but very easy to spot. I have looked very carefully and havenā€™t seen any. And if there are aphids on this tree why only on one side? Is it possible that plum aphids would only attack one side of the tree? Thatā€™s seems highly unlikely.

Plus I have been vigilant with spraying for aphids. Iā€™ve also sprayed extensively for fungus too.

Yes,sometimes only one branch is affected on a tree.Mine get them every year.This time I was diligent and sprayed oil and soap 2-3 times before bloom and the only place they are noticeable,are on the end of a potted Plumā€™s branch,that was probably missed entirely.

Just thought Iā€™d share here in case anyone is interested ā€“ I created a project page on the Experimental Farm Network for my cold-hardy avocado project:

https://experimentalfarmnetwork.org/project/36

Iā€™ll start distributing trees around this time next year, so Iā€™m mostly launching this now to gauge interest and help find other cultivars to add to the multi-graft breeding trees.

This is a rather long-shot experiment, I will admit, but Iā€™m committed to sticking with it for many years to come, and hope to eventually test hundreds or even thousands of seedlings to see if the genetic variability of avocados will produce any trees capable of doing even reasonably well in our climate.

5 Likes

Please help me.
I have a lot of fig trees 1-3 gallon containers, but Iā€™m having a hard time
marketing them.

Iā€™m in Port Orchard, Washington
are there any Plant sales where I could bring them?
Near Port Orchard

Does anyone here successfull with Candy heart pluerry in Pacific Northwest? Thank you for information. Vincent.