Pacific Northwest Fruit & Nut Growers

They have been taking for me, just need to keep them fresh and use quickly, limit the scion to 3 good buds and protect from hot sun a week or so with aluminum foil. If you want to come get them early AM is best to use them that day. Let me know for certain
Dennus

1 Like

Winn @swincher got me started on checking the pluot displays at Co-ops. He posted pictures last month from his PCC in West Seattle. You can find your closest PCC here:

Unlike at regular grocery stores, the pluot varieties here are labeled.

However, I definitely got two entirely different pluots at the same store a few days apart, both labeled as Dapple Jack. So it may be a case of inaccurate labeling at times.

I agree with drying (even partially drying) being the very best fig preservation method. The figs take on an incredible rich caramel taste. I used to struggle to find recipes to use up my DK figsā€¦not anymore. Great Christmas presents.

1 Like

Good to hear I may check it out
Ok I found two in Fred Meyer today, they appear to be Flavor King and Flavor Supreme

My Nadia and Sweet Treat 8.15.22

6 Likes

Wow Vincent
Those are beautiful
Dennis

1 Like

Really,which Fred Meyer?Iā€™ve never seen them in an FM.There is one called Plumogranate,from Family Tree Farms,that resembles Flavor King,outwardly and has deep reddish/purple flesh,but the only other Pluots,theyā€™ve had,were Dapple Dandy/Dino Eggs.

Auburn FM, they are not labeled so you cannot be sure of variety

Does anyone have recommendations for semi firm to firm texture japanese and european plums? i find myself wanting to store plums but the soft texture plums tends to burst.

I too prefer ā€˜meatyā€™ plums- like Imperial Epineuse - rather than bags of juice like Shiro. Plums labeled ā€˜prune plumsā€™ have a meaty texture. They are also excellent dried. Many varieties of late Italian plums are considered prune plums. They ripen last for me. Imperial Epineuse are ripe now.

2 Likes

Probably bringing up the rear (in terms of other membersā€™ ripening schedule) with my Avalon Pride peaches. I thought the rainy spring weather was going to make fruiting a bustā€¦ but just picked 40 softball size peaches off my 15 year old tree. There must have been a small pollination window!
One thing Iā€™m doing differently this year is picking earlier and keeping peaches at 68F for 48 hrs before refrigerating at 32F. While this variety will ripen fine on tree, but when ripe they are hard to remove from stem without tearing. And if you immediately place in refer, they become mealy, like so many supermarket varieties. Picking earlier and letting table ripen works to keep them whole and juicy.
The brix is 13, probably no good for SoCal, but pretty good for our NorthWet.
IMG_1041
IMG_1058

5 Likes

I harvested a 19 Brix Superior plum today. Deer ate my 2 best plums a couple of days ago, but the remaining ones are very tasty. The skin was tart, but the flesh was perfect. The texture was fine, firm, and melting; like a good nectarine. The flavor is very plummy, with a distinct banana/bubble gum taste.
I will post some photos of the next ones I harvest.

the more I learn about stone fruit the more I think picking a few days early, just as they start to yield, and counter ripening is best for most varieties. I can only think of a couple I prefer totally tree ripe, such as shiro

1 Like

This weekā€™s plum display at Co-op. The Peacotums were very good- a tangy apricot crunch mixed with a peach sweetness. The Flavor Rich are still counter ripening. (I see Dave Wilson Nursery lists Flavorich pluot, with dark purple skinā€¦that must be the one.)
I couldnā€™t bring myself to shell out for the Goldline Peachā€¦but with that description would have loved to see the interior orange stripe.

4 Likes

recent video by Eugene-area extension educator Erica Chernoh on willamette valley tree fruit. I donā€™t think most forum visitors will learn much from this but you never know. I did learn that thereā€™s a public demo garden in Eugene that Iā€™ll now have to visit at some point

2 Likes

Delighted with first fruiting of nectarines, Hardired (brix 12) and Harcot (brix 11), juicy and sweet enough. They were 3 years in the ground, in a raised bed with overhead cover to protect from PLC.
IMG_1066

IMG_1065

I was so determined to get fruit that I went way overboard with protective measures. To protect from western flower thrips I hung lures. When first fruit set, I spayed with surround. (Since trees were under cover, that one spray lasted all summer). When quarter size, I wrapped fruit with footies. A few fruit I left unwrapped as control.

Since the unwrapped fruit look as clean as the wrapped fruit, maybe wrapping is not necessary. It could be that the lures and/or surround foiled the western flower thrips.

Nearby open-air Nectazee (not yet ripe) in raised bed but not overhead covered, not protected with lures, not Surround, and not wrapped looks thrip deformed.
IMG_1067

So itā€™s lures and/or Surround for next year to figure out the minimal protection. But amazing that it can be done in my cooler than Seattle climate.

6 Likes

my nectarines are picking now (spice zee and fantasia, both redhaven+18, hardired is +5 so I guess Iā€™m two weeks ahead of you), they get beat up by thrip-type stuff every year but they taste fine. since itā€™s just friends and family eating them I donā€™t think Iā€™ll spray, only necessary spray here is for leaf curl

1 Like

Is the coop Skagit Valley? They have a wonderful selection of fruits and vegetables.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s a great place! Everyoneā€™s in a good mood. When I first moved here, it was in another location with dirt floors and a few organic veggies. And now itā€™s totally upscaleā€¦ but hasnā€™t lost its hippie charm.

1 Like